GO!

Thoughts on these puppies

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 6:24pm PST 
I am looking to buy an Australian Shepherd puppy and had posted a wanted ad on craigslist. I have gotten a reply from someone, but im a little skeptical on whether these puppies are "purebred" like this person is insisting they are. The cheap price/lack of papers/odd colored puppy is kind of throwing me off. I wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on if they think these are purebred or not.

http://houston.craigslist.org/pet/3425235819.html
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 1:45pm PST 
They could be purebred. But they're pretty far from being bred to the standard. Also, I'd be seriously leery of a breeder posting up ads on Craigslist.

If you want my opinion, I think you should look into buying a puppy from a reputable breeder who's currently working/showing his or her dogs. Initial purchase price is such a small drop in the bucket compared to how much you're going to be spending on the dog over its lifetime (even its first year, alone) that it shouldn't sway you to compromise on quality.

I'd keep looking.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 6:26pm PST 
Thanks for your advice! I'm definitely going to pass, and I've been talking to a reputable breeder in my area about some puppies that are due in January.
[notify]