GO!

New 9 week old puppy! Questions!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Sun Jun 24, '12 3:18pm PST 
Hi All,

I just got a 9 week old Aussie puppy two days ago (completely in love) and have some general questions!

She has been breathing very heavily while sleeping - is this just normal tired puppy behavior?

How much sleep/exercise should she be getting?

How long until they can sleep through the night? We've been taking her out approx 3 times a night (she's very good about letting us know she needs to go out)

Should we be carrying her up and down stairs? The house has a lot and there is another dog so sometimes she zooms by ( no fear) but I've read it's bad for their growing joints and bones

Thanks in advance! She's such a baby and I want to make sure I'm doing the best possible job as a puppy mom that I can!
[notify]
Oscar

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 5:11am PST 
Do some research online on crate training With my new puppy he is now sleeping from 11 to 5 am in his crate with no accidents. Slowly lengthen the time between nightly potty breaks as time goes by and you will get there. Get them out to excercise as much as possible, and start walking with a martingale collar as soon as possible. Aussies are high energy, so you need to get that energy out in a positive manner. Walking daily is vital to your sanity and the dogs'. I would also enroll in some sort of obedience class. This will give your pup a "job" to do and help burn off energy as well. They are great dogs when you take the time to train and socialize them. Good luck!
[notify]