GO!

Australian Shepherd Leash training help!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Mon May 14, '12 9:24am PST 
Hi there, I am new to this site and I am a new owner to my 12 week old aussie shepherd, Juno.

She knows how to sit, lay down, and come pretty well, however leash training is extremely frustrating!
She pulls, jumps up at me continuously in anticipation of treats when she IS walking nicely and is just not very enjoyable to walk.
I have tried going very slowly with her, rewarding her every few steps by my side and I have tried changing directions each time she pulls but she just jumps and bites the leash and totally misbehaves.
If anyone has some tips for me I would appreciate it!!
Is 12 weeks too young to expect a leash trained puppy? We've been at it for a few weeks now with no progress.
Thanks in advance for any help!! hail
[notify]

Barked: Thu May 31, '12 8:53am PST 
Hi!

My Australian Shepherd is 5 months, and we've been working on leash training for about 2 of those, and it has not been easy. Trying to walk with a dog that is acting overstimulated is extremely difficult. My suggestion would be to stop and use either the ignore technique or the shhhh and wait until your dog is sitting quietly and obviously chilled out before walking again. Supposedly, this breed is so smart, they should catch on quickly. Another idea is to try to tire your dog out before leash training, so rollerblading or biking or throwing a ball or whatever works. It's true, your puppy is quite young, which doesn't necessarily mean it's impossible, just that it might be extra hard.

Good luck!
Honey
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jul 11, '12 12:01pm PST 
It sounds like your puppy is just over stimulated and needs to learn how to calm down. Emily Larlham is amazing. She has her own youtube channel under kikopup, and she has tips for everything.
[notify]

Harry

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 5:03am PST 
Basic obedience will help a ton. These dogs are smart and kove to perform for their owners. Once your pup sees how other dogs do it, it will fall in line. My first Aussie was much the same to start. I would also suggest getting them on a leash as soon and as often as possible. I started my 12 week old on a leash at 9 weeks and he is pretty good at it now.
[notify]
Harry

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 5:04am PST 
Basic obedience will help a ton. These dogs are smart and kove to perform for their owners. Once your pup sees how other dogs do it, it will fall in line. My first Aussie was much the same to start. I would also suggest getting them on a leash as soon and as often as possible. I started my 12 week old on a leash at 9 weeks and he is pretty good at it now.
[notify]