GO!

Could I be a Kelpie mix?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Olive

Lab/Rottie/Chow/- Shepherd Mix!

Barked: Fri Dec 23, '11 6:09am PST 
I'm almost 9 months old and I'm 50 lbs. Mom says I won't get much bigger. I was listed as a "Australian Shepherd/German Shepherd mix" by my rescue when I was a small puppy, but Mom thinks I look more like a Black Lab mix.

She thinks I'm too small to be a Lab/GSD mix, but thinks I look a lot like a black Kelpie (except with half-perked ears!)

Could I be a Kelpie/Lab mix?

Edited by author Fri Dec 23, '11 6:10am PST

[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Wed Jan 4, '12 1:50pm PST 
After looking through your pictures, I really wouldn't think so.

Definitely Labrador, but I'm not really seeing Kelpie at all. I'd venture more to say Labrador / and maybe GSD mix.

At 9 months old, she still has a bit of growing to do as well as filling out.
Female Labs typically weigh between 55-70lbs, the field bred ones especially tend to be around the slimmer end.
German Shepherd females can also be in around that range.

I'd say Olive is liable to bottom out 60-70lbs.

Australian Kelpies are quite a small breed of dog. The females especially tend to be around 35lbs, Rigby's about 28lbs at this point.

Olive's coat (from what I can see) also says Lab / Shepherd to me.
Kelpies tend to have tight/short coats like a lab. Olive seems to have a bit more of a "fluffy" coat.

Although I could totally be off-base. But I don't really see kelpie
[notify]
Roscoe

Barked: Thu Jan 19, '12 9:11am PST 
This is Roscoe! When I got him from the pound at 3-4 months old they said he was a husky/aussie mix...after doing some research, I am wondering if he is a Kelpie? He has the markings and colors and a lot of the physical characteristics. He's about 32 lbs and 20 inches tall. His ears arent pricked but they tend to roll back like they are trying to stand up. Anyone got any ideas of what he might be? smile
[notify]

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Feb 5, '12 7:05pm PST 
I don't see any kelpie either, Olive. Kelpie lab mixes tend towards being smaller, with clear kelpie characteristics in the face. She looks like a lab shepherd mix to me.
[notify]