GO!

Another "Is my dog a Kelpie?" thread

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Chino

Did somebody say- "treat"?

Barked: Mon Feb 16, '09 7:45pm PST 
Hi, there!

Until I recently stumbled across a reference to Australian Kelpies, I thought that my dog was a Australian Cattle Dog/ Chocolate Lab mix. It never seemed quite right, but that's the best anyone could come up with.

Anyway, when I Googled "Kelpie" and saw some of the pictures, it seemed like Chino MUST be a Kelpie. But I've gathered that they are really rare in the United States, and I can't figure out how a rare purebred herding dog ended up as a stray in the middle of Kansas City. thinking

Does he look like he may truly be a Kelpie?

Thanks!
--Laura
[notify]
Wiley

Whatever I am- doing is very- important

Barked: Wed Apr 14, '10 9:36pm PST 
He looks a bit like Wiley. His muzzle is a bit broader than some kelpies' and his coat looks a little bit slicker/shorter, but it's hard to know for sure as there is variation in the breed (they are bred for work and not show in the US at least).

One of the frustrating things about kelpies is that as a sort of "wild type" dog phenotype, some mixes of various shepherd type and other breeds can develop a similar appearance to kelpies (large, upright ears, long muzzle, similar coloring, short coat, medium sized). What is his behavior like? As herding dogs that use eye to control stock, kelpies tend to be very interested in movement and will often use an unblinking stare to try to control other animals or even people. Unfortunately, none of the DNA tests would be helpful (assuming they really work), because kelpies aren't even in any of their breed databases at this time.

Edited by author Wed Apr 14, '10 9:42pm PST

[notify]