GO!

Do I appear to be Kelpie?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Will

Step away from- the ball

Barked: Tue Apr 14, '09 7:16am PST 
Hi all, I hadn't realized how many people had posted! I do know he's part German Shepherd. What we don't know is what makes up the rest of him, and what gives him the distinct black and tan markings. We did a DNA test, all it told us was shepherd (couldn't tell what the other breeds were). Rottweiler and Doberman were on the breed list but didn't show up. People have suggested Beauceron, which is true, he really does look like one. But the likelihood of that mix happening is pretty rare! He's a bit over two years old and 83 lbs (been that weight ever since he was a year old). I have heard that the DNA tests aren't really all that accurate - there's no standard for breeding, the technique is still being perfected, and at this point it's just a great money making venture. So, who knows, maybe there is some Dobie.
[notify]
Charlie

Mr. Piddles

Barked: Mon Jan 11, '10 2:37pm PST 
Do I look like I could be a Kelpie? I have a spotted tounge and short hair that is black and tan. If i am a kelpie, I hope my mommies throw some shrimp on the barbie, and then rent the movie Australia, i just looooove nicole Kidman, arrrooooof!!!!
[notify]
Wiley

Whatever I am- doing is very- important

Barked: Wed Apr 14, '10 9:20pm PST 
He is big for a pure kelpie. It's possible he could be part kelpie, but it is hard to tell from the picture. He could be a shepherd mix as well, or even a kelpie/shepherd mix. I just got one of my dogs tested with a DNA test that has over 170 breeds (still no kelpie in their breed list though), and there are no matches for her. The reason they give is that she is either a mix of too many breeds to get a strong pattern for any, or else she is a rare breed or a mix of rarer breeds. Another possibility (that they didn't include) is that these tests may not be all that accurate.
[notify]

Otis

Barked: Thu Aug 5, '10 3:31pm PST 
You look pretty darn Kelpie.
But then I could use some help myself. The SPCA I came from guesses Kelpie and Lab, but I'm only 3 months old and already on the big side. Any ideas where I might have come from? My mom has been looking for a doggie DNA test to help me out, but none of them seem to include Kelpies in the breed list.
[notify]
Dewey

Barked: Thu Sep 23, '10 9:50pm PST 
Oh my goodness! He looks exactly Like my puppy dewey, I was told my pup was a german shepard/ collie mix, I had never heard of Kelpies until today, I was browsing different dog sites and a picture of one came up and I said "that's dewey" I have been thinking about getting a dna test, but none that I have seen have kelpies listed.
[notify]
Willow

No fear....

Barked: Sat Nov 20, '10 10:34pm PST 
I've also wondered if my dog could be part Kelpie. I've been told by both an agility trainer we went to and a veterinarian that she certainly has the look of one. Based on the personality traits I've read about she certainly has the personality. I just have a hard time imagining how since I don't know that there are a lot of kelpies in Arkansas where we found her. Any opinions?
[notify]
Ellie

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 9:19am PST 
Just watched a show about kelpies and I think mine might be as we'll she has all the markings and her ears were floppy As a puppie and now they are pointed. She is the right size and defiantly has the temperament
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2