GO!

KELPIES UNITE!!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Freda Mae

Watch out for- SUVs & 1 dolla- hoses!!

Barked: Wed Mar 21, '07 9:24am PST 
BOL, it was recently discovered that I am Australian Kelpie!! BOL!

So, is there anything interesting about our breed that I should know??
[notify]
Lucy Bear

Born to herd.

Barked: Wed Apr 4, '07 8:33pm PST 
WOW...are we the only ones?
[notify]
Dori

I'll have what- you're having!

Barked: Thu May 31, '07 10:17am PST 
Nope! Me too.
[notify]

Cherry the- Wonderdog

God Bless the- fire fighters

Barked: Sun Jun 10, '07 8:26pm PST 
If you come to my kelpiewebsite www.freewebs.com/workingkelpies , you will find out a lot of facts about them. applause
[notify]
Dfor

Dfor dog

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '07 4:20pm PST 
Just that we're smart, cute and full of energy!!!!
[notify]
Indi

Aint Nothin- Butta Hound Dog

Barked: Thu Jul 12, '07 2:51pm PST 
I'm a kelpie!

I was rescued from the shelter at six months. Momma thinks that my old People got me as a puppy and as I grew up and became destructive, they had to say goodbye. I love kids -- I possibly had one or two young ones with my old People.

The shelter staff said I was a 2 year miniature pinscher mix...but I grew several inches in only a few months, and my teeth were in 'great' shape, says the vet. He told my momma that I was probably only six to seven months old.

My Momma and her family weren't ready for a puppy. They were expecting a two year old, as the staff said. I tore up a screen door, destroyed Gramma's plants and garden, and was afraid everytime they left me in a crate, so I screamed and cried until Momma got angry and frustrated.

Mom did some research and found SEVERAL kelpies that look just like me! She even met another kelpie parent with a handsome red and tan stock boy named Drifter! Drift's mom told Momma that I was probably a 'stack/bench' kelpie, bred for the show rings, whereas Drifter was bred to work cattle and sheep.

Momma almost gave up on me, I was such a troublemaker as a pup. As of July 3rd, I've lived here for a year and am now a year and a half. She took me in her last year of 4-H obedience, and our show is Saturday. The dog leader messed up, though, and we didn't have enough meetings so I didn't get to learn what I needed. Momma says I have to 'work offleash'...and she gets frustrated with me when I don't do what I'm supposed to.

Wish us luck on our show! I shall tell everyone here how I did!
< 33 Indi
[notify]
Cricket

Will work for- bones...

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '07 2:59pm PST 
Hey all you other Kelpies...BOL!!!!! I am Kelpie and Basenji mix, so I think I got the best of both breeds! Right now I am being trained to be a service dog for my mom, who has MS and Fibromyalgia and some major depression...but when I get home she won't have so much depression any more...I already have my CGC, and in a month I will be a registered service dog! Do any of you have fun with your moms and dads like being able to go to stores and movies with them? Mom wants to find out about both breeds so she will be up to speed when I get home. You guys have any good info I can steer her to???
[notify]
Gizmosis- Jones

heloo ladies

Barked: Mon Oct 22, '07 4:55pm PST 
nope! I gotta blank on that!big laugh
[notify]
Cal

I'm all ears!

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '08 10:54am PST 
I adopted a Kelpie knowing NOTHING about the breed and have had to become an expert pretty fast. Here are a few things I learned from experience and from books:

~Kelpies are hard workers; they can run around for hours without tiring (to the point of heat exhaustion…make sure your dog gets plenty of water and rest)

~Kelpies are also extremely smart and persistent. Those don't always go hand in hand though. He can figure things out easily (opening boxes, opening doors, finding where I hid things, figuring out that if I run behind something that I'll come out on the other side, etc), but sometimes he's persistent for hours with something that isn't working. For example, he has his favorite tennis ball that is forever stuck under the couch. He'll dig and dig and dig for more than an hour with no success, but he won't stop until I stop him. His intelligence and persistence do go hand in hand when it's play time. He loves chasing this one ball around the house and will drop it into my lap for up to five hours at a time so I throw it for him. The game doesn't end until I put the ball away. If the ball's in my lap but I don't throw it, he'll pick it up and drop it in my lap again and again until I throw it.

~Kelpies aren't Golden Retrievers or Labs. If you want the cutest dog in the world, well, in my opinion, you’ve got it. But if you want the friendliest, most people-oriented dog...don't get a Kelpie. While Cal is great with kids and adults alike (at the dog park the other day he played fetch with a 2-year-old), he doesn't love people. He's not overly affectionate and doesn't ever ask for attention. From what I’ve read and experienced, Kelpies are one-person dogs (or maybe two people). They love their family, but couldn’t care less about other people. This is evidenced in Cal’s eyes when people are petting him…he’s always looking away. He rarely looks at you when you’re petting him…he’s always alert, always looking for the next thing to do.

~Kelpies aren’t guard dogs either, but they’re always alert. Those ears are always pricked and the eyes are always watching things go by. I can’t leave a room without Cal following me. The door can’t open without him barking and running toward it. When someone new enters the room, he HAS to go investigate.

~Kelpies are very trainable. Cal is always eager to please; he was “sitting” within four hours of bringing him home from the shelter. This makes them excellent agility dogs. Agility is a great way to keep a Kelpie’s mind and body occupied while also building that owner-dog bond. Remember that a trainable, intelligent dog needs something to keep its mind busy.

Everything I’ve learned about Kelpies has been from Cal and from several books and websites. I recently came across this bit on petfinder and it really struck a chord with me: http://www.petfinder.com/journal/index.cgi?article=425

I hope this was helpful!
[notify]
tasman

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '08 6:32pm PST 
My kelpie is almost two and still cant get let off the lead at a park. i was wondering if this is alright. When we let him off he just DOESNT come back. He gets So easily distracted i was just wondering what to do to help him come off. He is very smart and knows lots but just DOESNT come.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3