GO!

Do I have a rare ACD...

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Jed

Who's that dog??- It's JED!

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 9:10pm PST 
I also have a white and red heeler. He is an unregistered purebred but lacks the gene that causes the ticking pattern on heelers. Heelers are born without ticking and develop coat pattern as they age. If a "regular" or "normal" coated heeler lacked the ticking gene all the ticked areas of coat would be white.

"The Australian Cattle Dog, the coloration that is called "Blue", and "Red" by the ACD and ASTCD
breeders/owners, is really the extreme piebald pattern that is also affected by the ticking gene; giving
the coloration a blue appearance. This allelic pair is also responsible for the "color headed" white dogs. Often
times, along with a colored head, there will also be a colored spot near the tail (called the caudle spot)."

From the website:
http://www.hnrworkingkelpies.com/ACDGenetics.html

My understanding is that "piebald" puppies can occur in almost any breeding of ACD's that carry the correct set of genes to cause lack of ticking, but most breeders (not all obviously) see this as a fault and do not want potential buyers to see this as poor breeding or incorrect practices (though it's fluke genetics), and don't typically keep white puppies around. They are sometimes euthanized or taken to shelters.
My dog is from working stock (bred for purpose/attitude/drive) not necessarily breed standard and has a red sire and a blue dam that both have regular ticking. He was the only pup in the litter that did not develop a ticking pattern. He also presents with a full mask and a caudle spot
[notify]
Jed

Who's that dog??- It's JED!

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 9:18pm PST 
I also have a white and red heeler. He is an unregistered purebred but lacks the gene that causes the ticking pattern on heelers. Heelers are born without ticking and develop coat pattern as they age. If a "regular" or "normal" coated heeler lacked the ticking gene all the ticked areas of coat would be white.

"The Australian Cattle Dog, the coloration that is called "Blue", and "Red" by the ACD and ASTCD
breeders/owners, is really the extreme piebald pattern that is also affected by the ticking gene; giving
the coloration a blue appearance. This allelic pair is also responsible for the "color headed" white dogs. Often
times, along with a colored head, there will also be a colored spot near the tail (called the caudle spot)."

From the website:
http://www.hnrworkingkelpies.com/ACDGenetics.html

My understanding is that "piebald" puppies can occur in almost any breeding of ACD's that carry the correct set of genes to cause lack of ticking, but most breeders (not all obviously) see this as a fault and do not want potential buyers to see this as poor breeding or incorrect practices (though it's fluke genetics), and don't typically keep white puppies around. They are sometimes euthanized or taken to shelters.
My dog is from working stock (bred for purpose/attitude/drive) not necessarily breed standard and has a red sire and a blue dam that both have regular ticking. He was the only pup in the litter that did not develop a ticking pattern. He also presents with a full mask and a caudle spot
[notify]

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 7:37pm PST 
I too also have a JEM yeahhhh! Her name is Jazzy!
[notify]

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 7:37pm PST 
I too also have a JEM yeahhhh! Her name is Jazzy!
[notify]

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 7:40pm PST 
She is also mostly white, patch on the eye with a few small spots and very spotted ears. will share a pic if someone helps me learn how to do that.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 7:44pm PST 
Been trying to figure if she is purebred or not. She has just come into her first heat...how fun.
[notify]
Al

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 5:58pm PST 
my pup Al is coming up on 4 months old and still completley white not a single spot of color anywhere ...he great... but i wonder if i was had by the breeder or not
[notify]
George

Barked: Sun Aug 18, '13 7:20am PST 
Hi Jed, thank you for that information, it was particularly helpful. Our "white" dog seems to be pure cattle dog and most certainly has the personality. My nickname for him is "dour George" because he is all business and every "job" is terribly important. Yes, he does follow me even to the bathroom, the first of our dogs to do that. He smiles and will play but unlike our boxer, has not a grain of silliness. He is a really cool dog. Thank you again, and if anyone has a chance, I would love feedback on body type and coat color. Thanks. I have to apologize in advance for the dirt in his coat. He LOVES to roll in it.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2