GO!

need advice anyone have livestock?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Rosita

i'm a lady but i- like it RUFF!

Barked: Sun Jul 22, '07 8:29pm PST 
we are wondering if anyone has an anatolian and livestock?
if so how did you train her/him?
ours kills our chickens any chance she gets.
any help?
[notify]
Ruya

Queen of All She- Surveys

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '07 5:54am PST 
Basically you need to confine either the birds or the pup when pup can't be watched. I don't know what your situation is but giving any pup too much freedom can create more work.

Ruya's mom is involved with Anatolian club where we have an article on ASDs and poultry at our club website here.

Also a forum which she started in 1994, on issues including training of livestock protection dogs here called LGD-L and you can join and read all the archives that mention chickens or other livestock. Then post to the forum. There are many people with working livestock dogs of many breeds, including Anatolians.

LGD-L also has a library including a section on LGD training issues

The main thing is to set up a schedule of containing either the pup or the chickens when both can't be supervised. Mornings and afternoon can be the worst time for a pup to be around excited birds scrambling for food. Roosters chasing hens can entice pup to think it's a game. There are many reasons a pup can make mistakes. But even if you have lost a few hens, the dog is not a total loss. Restrict freedom when the dog can't be watched. For some people, this means putting the birds into a pen, for others, it means putting the pup into a pen. Obviously every situation has different arrangements that may be more convenient.

Adolescence in all breeds of pups can be a trying time!

Best!
[notify]
Clifford- (adopted!)

Adopt one- homeless dog.

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '07 12:14pm PST 
I have fostered a mix and he was good with the horses but I don't think he could be good with smaller animal like hens. I had a dog that killed hen in the past and I had to have him under supervision at all time otherwise he was confine to the balcony or home.
Try this or to have you hens confined to a specific area.
Good Luck
[notify]

Rosita

i'm a lady but i- like it RUFF!

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '07 11:20pm PST 
we just don't trust her enough to leave the hens out when we're not home.
i think we have seen a decline in chasing ( and catching) since she has matured. she's now a little over 2.

thanks for the link also.
[notify]
wargas

Wargas-You want- me to do- what?Why?

Barked: Tue Mar 10, '09 9:58am PST 
I"m new to the forum. I've had flock guardian breeds for 12 years although they have not worked with stock. I totally agree that you should join the LGD-L discussion list. This is a great group of people with plenty of experience working dogs with all kinds of stock.
And Wargas sends regards to Ruya.
[notify]