GO!

Getting an Amstaff Thursday!!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Maggie

Life is good!

Barked: Sat May 22, '10 6:28pm PST 
I'm getting a new brother Thursday! His name is Jo Jo, he's a 1-1/2 years old and coming to my house from the East Tn Pit Bull Rescue www.etnpitbullrescue.org/ I'm so excited! He looks a little like me, but is much bigger then I am. We have met a couple of times in parks, and we play well together but he is a little "high energy" for me. He seems to take my cues when I tell him to settle down. Any suggestions on how to welcome him into our home with as few issues as possible? I am a little "alpha" and mom is more worried about me then Jo Jo..
Thanks for any input
[notify]
Apollo

Barked: Tue Sep 14, '10 6:56pm PST 
Congrats, I have a staffy & Love him, he was a resuce too. In my experience introducing dogs (which isn't much) it's better to have the new dog in the home before you let the old dog in. With Apollo, it's better to bring him into a home & then lot the other dogs in otherwise the other dogs seem to be extremely territorial. Whereas, if JoJo were already in the house & you bring Maggie in, it's more of a pleasent experience for all. Good Luck!
[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Fri Oct 8, '10 6:50pm PST 
Have the dogs meet on neutral territory and wear them out before bringing them back home. Make sure to practice NILF regularly so they have some boundaries set, and feed in separate rooms at first. Try not to show any favoritism since that is a common way fights get triggered amongst dogs. Spend as close as possible to the same amount one on one time and group time with each dog. Make the meeting of both dogs and coming to the new house a very positive experience for all of the dogs.
[notify]