GO!

Which breed? Can you venture a guess?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Abby

"Our Great- Japanese" says 6- yr old dd

Barked: Wed Jan 6, '10 10:15am PST 
I just "adopted" a new puppy from a home that was giving them away. Lola is a beagle/apbt or ast mix. I didn't know the owners beforehand but I did ask to meet the parents. The mom is a beagle. According to the owners, the dad is a full APBT. However, I would have guessed AST myself. I questioned the owner if he was sure and he said "Yeah, the APBT are shorter, stockier, and more muscular than the AST." I thought it was the other way around. Their dog was very short and stocky with a broad bully chest. It was nearly solid black, only a small patch of white on chest. The head was very uhmmm...boxy? near the jaws. Not sure if this helps. Anyway, the owner said it was a very easygoing dog, getting along with the 4 other dogs they have (I only saw the beagle), their 4yr old daughter, and even strangers (me). I don't think the owners were the best nor the worst. Didn't get the feel they fought the dog but then again? Anyway, it doesn't really matter much, just curious. Do you think from my description, the dad seemed more APBT or AST?
[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Fri Jan 8, '10 10:50pm PST 
That dog was not purebred APBT. APBTs do not have large barrel/"bully" chests and aren't really short and stocky; the only thing close to that is the Staffordshire Bull Terrier but to me it sounds like the dog was an "American Bully" ("pit bull" breed mixed with bulldog and/or mastiff breed).
[notify]
Abby

"Our Great- Japanese" says 6- yr old dd

Barked: Mon Jan 11, '10 5:03pm PST 
Thanks. Is the fact that the father wasn't full pit but rather bred with a bully breed bad? I only ask because in my research of pits, I read that "fighters" want the larger bully type breed. I guess I worry I made a bad decision on Lola. Not because of her but because of the "hype". Lola has been doing great so far, coming along fine on her housebreaking. She has her first training class at Petsmart tomorrow. I hope it is nice. Abbey, our great pyr, is doing better with her too. All 5 of my kids love her, including my 10 month old son. FWIW, we haven't allowed her around him without supervision.
[notify]

Zero

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 1:12pm PST 
"""American Bully" ("pit bull" breed mixed with bulldog and/or mastiff breed).'''''

THAT IS NOT TRUE a true American bully only has UKC American Pit Bull Terrier and the AKC American Staffordshire Terrier here is the info

The American Bully breed was established in the mid 1990 s with the purpose of creating the ultimate family companion. The American Bully was created through years of selective breeding by combining the desired traits of the UKC American Pit Bull Terrier and the AKC American Staffordshire Terrier. The American Bully's origin's can be seen both on the East and West Coast of the United States, primarily in Virgina, and Los Angeles, California. Today the American Bully can also be seen, in Europe and Asia.
[notify]