GO!

What is the physical difference between a APBT and and AmStaff?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

♥Jake- ♥

DiNgO--I'm BaCk!

Barked: Thu Oct 30, '08 12:43pm PST 
I've seen lots of pictures of pitbulls and Amstaffs and they all look differernt if you didnt read the captions you couldnt tell which was which... How do u figure out whats a amsaff and whats not thinking
[notify]
Zeppelin J.- Dogg, ESQ

My Genetic Color- Code is e/e,- b/b.

Barked: Wed Nov 5, '08 11:27am PST 
Jake-

Originally, they were the same dog. A long time ago, the AKC renamed those it registered to American Staffordshire Terriers; the UKC recognizes the American Pit Bull Terrier, as does the ADBA. After that, it's just been mainly the lines that have come to differentiate the two. They are basically the same dog. I think the ADBA website explains it.
[notify]
Cobalt- Diesel Bleu

Catch me if you- can! ha ha!

Barked: Mon Nov 10, '08 6:45am PST 
Contact the american staffordshire club of america and see what they say.

Edited by moderator Sun Apr 19, '09 8:53am PST

Edited by forums moderator

Angel Buddy (Baby Kisses)

Baby Kisses.

Barked: Wed Nov 12, '08 11:04am PST 
waveHi Everypup!
I am listed as an American Staffordshire Terrier. Mom was told
to use that as my breed because American Pit Bull Terrier is
often seen in a bad light. My mom was told that American Staffordshire Terrier name was used to put "Pit Bulls" in the AKC.
Mom was told the AKC does not accept APBT in their organization.

shrug

Edited by author Wed Nov 12, '08 11:05am PST

[notify]
Simon

Vicious Keeler

Barked: Thu Feb 5, '09 11:30am PST 
Cmon, ppl, there two completely different breeds! They come from the same foundation stock an share many branches in their family tree, but are totally different!
I have an APBT and AmStaff @ my house, examined apart I could see many an untrained examiner saying they look exactly the same, but taken together their obvious genetic differences become apparent, true there is obviously variation within breeds, but this is no explanation.

At my house atleast its like comparing a hot dog [APBT] to a Honey Glazed Ham [AmStaff]

Edited by author Mon Feb 9, '09 6:19am PST

[notify]
Simon

Vicious Keeler

Barked: Tue Feb 10, '09 11:56am PST 
Albeit a very muscly and well defined hotdog!
[notify]
Sugar

As 'sweet' as- Sugar!

Barked: Mon Jul 6, '09 5:34am PST 
applausei TOTALLY agree with Simon! the differences in the breeds are night & day. well, maybe dusk & dawn... whatever you wanna compare the differences to doesn't change the fact of them being different breeds! when i got Sugar, i was told she was a APBT. i very quickly realized through her characteristics(both physical & physiological) that she was an AmStaff. they are both GREAT breeds! the Amstaffs have a more stream-line skeletal structure; notably the head is not as stout: the length and width(where the jaw connects). its a little difficult to put into words, as far as the differences in demeanor, but those are notable too.
[notify]
Dosha

It moved! Chase- it, Chase it!!!

Barked: Mon Aug 3, '09 2:21pm PST 
applausehail exactly, my mom has an APBT, and I have a Staffie, and there are just slight differences, but they are different... also must staffie's, if you look the back jaw line is a little more squared, then rounded like the APBT, or at least mine is. they are both great breeds, and both affectionate, but my staffies domeaner and personality is just totally different than my mom's APBT
[notify]
Dude

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '12 2:24pm PST 
i have a am staff and he is shorter and stockers then my neighbors fullblooded pit bull. her dog is taller and skinner then my dog is
[notify]