GO!

Probably American Foxhound ... anything else?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Abby

Energizer Bunny

Barked: Thu May 24, '12 11:02am PST 
I adopted my girl from a rescue group a little over 2 months ago (they said she came from a shelter down in NC). The shelter had told them she was "just beagle" but they suspected beagle and treeing walker coonhound. After looking at a lot of pictures and websites, and getting advice from friends, I believe she's at least part American Foxhound. I was even told this by someone from the Am Foxhound Association, they said she has the foxhound head, but her body doesn't really fit the standard and could be more harrier or treeing walker coonhound. She does have the smooth, glossy coat as well as the treeing instinct of a TWCH. Thing is, she's a little over 7 months old and is only about 17 inches tall at the shoulder. Not sure if she will grow much taller. Wondering if her small size could be due to some beagle? I've got several pics and a video of her on her profile page. If anyone has any insight that would be awesome. Thanks!
[notify]
Cider- Doughnut- Shenanigans

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 6:01pm PST 
Squeeeeee!She looks just like my Cider!Who I believe is foxhound and some type of pointer (brittany perhaps?). Cider is 10 months and about 43 lbs. Not sure of her height. They look soooooooo similar! Right down to the photo with the stick!
[notify]

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 6:22pm PST 
I should add, that the current photos i have up, she was much younger. Newer photos of her show a much stronger resemblance to your pooch.
[notify]

Abby

Energizer Bunny

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 7:05pm PST 
Your Cider is just adorable!! I agree, there is definitely a resemblance there smile I broke down and had a DNA test done for Abby... came back Treeing Walker Coonhound, Beagle and Greyhound. Not sure I believe that last one and quite a few people think she's an American Foxhound. I wouldn't doubt she's got some Am Foxhound in her.

BTW, thanks for friending us! smile

Edit: I would love to see some newer photos of her if possible too!

Edited by author Fri Sep 21, '12 7:06pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '12 5:12pm PST 
Awesome! I want to do a DNA test at some point too. And I will be putting up new pics soon !
[notify]
Abby

Energizer Bunny

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 10:12am PST 
Cool! I love the new pics! The second-to-last one? Awwww, she looks so much like Abby in the face smile Abby is going for her 1 year old checkup in a couple of weeks. Last time we had her to the vet she was about 38 lbs. She's probably around 40 now. It's hard to measure her, she gets pretty skittish of the tape measure, lol. But last time I tried, she was around 17-18 inches at the shoulder. I guess that's the beagle influence, or one of her parents was just a runt of the litter wink
[notify]

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 6:38pm PST 
Haha! Cider is the same with the tape measure, I have tried ( unsuccessfully to measure her for a jacket!).I think hounds and hunting dogs in general are just sensitive little souls! Hope all went well with you 1 yr exam. Cider's will be coming up soon, she turns 1 in November!
[notify]
Abby

Energizer Bunny

Barked: Sat Oct 13, '12 5:48pm PST 
Haha, I think you're right! Abby is afraid of the gate we have across the stairway (we put it there sometimes because she likes to go up there when we're not around, open our doors and go through stuff!). Whenever anyone is going down the stairs and is near the gate, she hides.

Thanks so much! She did great. I took her for a nice walk afterwards and she had a birthday cupcake (yellow cake with orange icing) after dinner! I put up a couple new photos of her on her page from today: one of her at the table looking for more cupcakes, and the other modeling her nice new sweater. Been chilly here the past few days! She gets cold easily and curls up into a ball when she's on the couch with us. I have a knitted afghan that she loves to be covered with.
[notify]