GO!

Tear staining

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Sun Jan 8, '12 10:06am PST 
My handsome new rescue Eskie has ugly tear stains. I purchased a tear stain liquid cleaner Gold Medal tear stain remover which I have been using on him twice a day for a month. I am also giving him Angel Eyes natural powder--not the one with the trilosan antibiotic in it. Neither product seems to be helping. I also brought him to the vet a month ago and he did have to go on antibiotic eye ointment for a week for a low grade eye infection which has clear up. Any suggestions to get rid of the tear stains. They look pretty bad and really detract from his appearance.
[notify]
Charlie

It's in the eyes

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 5:58pm PST 
Hi! When I first took my Charlie to the vet as a puppy he told me in order to avoid the staining is to give them only spring bottled water, even if you have a filter in your house regular tap water simply has too much in it. The cause is a certain bacteria that grows around they eyes and feeds off of the stuff in the tap water, I NEVER give my guy tap water and he always gets compliments on his beautiful eyes smile
[notify]
Ripley

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 2:00pm PST 
I clean my eskies eyes daily with water and a cotton ball because he gets some crusties/goop sometimes and we have not had any problem with tear staining as of yet but he is still very young

Edited by author Sun Nov 25, '12 2:01pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 9:39am PST 
I have two American Eskimo/Sheltie Mix dogs one is eye stain free and the other one gets the eye stains. Both have the same diet and water supply. I tried the filtered water for several months but it didn't seem to make any difference in Maya's condition. I then tried washing Maya's face around her eyes with sterile saline (the kind you get to clean contacts with) I just wash her around eyelids two or three times a week to keep the brown crust away. If the eye drainage is a lot or gets crusted I use one drop baby shampoo in a about two ounces of sterile saline to soften and wash the area around her eyes. Now my sweetie has a fresh face to great the world with.
[notify]