GO!

To Breed Or Not to breed?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

♥Lizz- ie - CGC♥

I am the- Princess- everyone loves- me!

Barked: Mon Jun 15, '09 11:57pm PST 
Ok my husband and I have been discussing weather or not to spay our Lizzie. First off I understand the pet overpopulation problem. He says "I want her spayed because I love her too much and I would want to keep a puppy. And we have enough dogs."

But I thought the real good reason to breed is for health and temperament. I am in no way looking for profit. I know around here buff cocker puppies sell for about $200 so what I would spend on whelping her would probably mean I get little or no profit.

But, I have NEVER met a sweeter cocker than my Lizzie she is mellow, friendly, social with people and dogs and very healthy. She is not fearful either, which I know is a common trait in cockers!

We had a litter out of my Yorkie right after we got her. She was only 6 months old and she was so gentle and affectionate with the puppies almost like they were her puppies.

Please if you have something rude to say don't reply. I am really want the best for my baby and the cocker breed! dog
[notify]
MaggieMay

Queen Of The- Universe

Barked: Tue Jun 16, '09 6:02pm PST 
Have you taken her for any official health testing at your vet? To make sure she clears? She may seem perfect to you but she may not be meant for breeding.

Personally I wouldn't breed her. Especially at 6 months. That is way too young. Anyone worth their salt will tell you that a female dog should NOT be bred under 2 years old.

I have a female Cocker Spaniel who has many health problems from getting pregnant and having a litter before she was a year old. Her puppies even came out deformed.

I want to point out that I did not breed her. She was a puppymill pull at a local rescue.

Its also not worth doing with Cockers. If your just doing it because of her personality, I highly suggest passing on the idea. Cocker Spaniels are so over bred and practically ruined. Even though you MAY spay your girl after her first litter. Doesent mean who you sell those puppies airn't going to go out and breed their Cockers as well. And even more down the crapper the breed goes.

Also if you do all the proper health checks, and vet check ups for your pregnant dog. It will cost well over the profit of selling your puppies for $200.
[notify]
♥Lizz- ie - CGC♥

I am the- Princess- everyone loves- me!

Barked: Wed Jun 17, '09 1:05am PST 
6 months where did you get that? She's a year and a half old and there's no way we'd breed her before 2 years old! I just thought passing on her ideal personality would help the rep of the cocker. Not to mention the adorable puppies!
[notify]

MaggieMay

Queen Of The- Universe

Barked: Sat Jun 20, '09 11:59am PST 
Thats not a good enough reason to breed her.

Again has she had any health testing? Hips, eyes, ect? And no im not talking about general vet check ups.

And there is no promise that her puppies will have her personality.
[notify]
Maddy

Just love- me.....

Barked: Wed Jul 8, '09 1:04pm PST 
I understand your wanting to breed a litter of puppies. There is nothing cuter than a cocker puppy. But.... there is a pet overpopulation issue and frequently cockers are given up due to skin and coat issues, allergies, frequent ear infections, behavior issues due to lack of training. In the 60s and 70's everyone wanted a cocker spaniel. Remember Lady and the Tramp? Unfortunately they were over bred by well meaning people and also puppy mills and developed some genetic issues like rage syndrome, other behavioral issues like aggressiveness and difficulty training, eye problems, skin and coat issues and so forth.
I foster alot of shelter cockers and it is so sad to see them all matted, crawling with fleas, scared and at times they can be aggressive. This is due to indiscriminate breeding. Many people who buy these puppies do not take proper care of them either. Frequently they are not brushed, their ears are infected or they are deaf, and their coat is smelly or matted. They smell because they are fed a bad food full of corn, wheat, animal by products and so forth. They are never trained properly and don't get enough exercise and can become bored , hyper, and overweight. I've rescued several cockers who were turned into shelters for various reasons.
My suggestion is to really think about it hard. I would take the dog to get their eyes certified etc. like the above post suggested if you are seriously considering breeding a show dog quality puppy. If you are just breeding for the sake of it, don't do it. If you are breeding for the health and improvement of the breed and show your dogs, that is another thing altogether. If you do breed, really carefully screen the potential homes and do a home visit on all applicants. If they have other dogs do a veterinary reference check! Ensure that the person ensures their present family dogs are current on all vaccinations, heartworm medications, heartworm tests, etc. Try to get a feeling from the vet clinic what this person is like. Lastly ask the person about their yard, do they keep chemicals like antifreeze in the garage or snail bait. Do they live near a busy road? Is their yard completely fenced? Is the fence secure at ground level. A home visit would eliminate those questions. Ask yourself would I put my own dog here? See how they interact in their home with their current pets.

I hope this helps you. I don't want to aggravate you but give you food for thought.
[notify]
Donovan'sMajesticJet of Solace

Street sweeper!

Barked: Fri Jul 17, '09 3:39am PST 
"We had a litter out of my Yorkie right after we got her. She was only 6 months old and she was so gentle and affectionate with the puppies almost like they were her puppies."
This is where Maggie May got it from.
Is your pup a registered purebred? Will you be breeding her with another registered purebred?
I agree with everyone else. If you dont know both pups backgrounds you and have proper genetics investigated, you are contributing nothing to the gene pool or breed.
I had a 6 month old cat who had kittens and she killed all of them. My vet said it was most likely due to her being too young and not knowing how to care for them.
[notify]