GO!

Help! Alaskan malamute male on male aggression

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Patches

Barked: Mon Aug 5, '13 5:23pm PST 
I adopted a 10 week old Alaskan malamute/great Pyrenees mix (Loki) back in February. We already had a 4 year old Australian shepherd and 3 year old boxer shepherd mix. Up until 2 weeks ago they were getting along just fine, minus the food aggression that Loki has towards dogs only. They would play in the yard together and sleep together but recently Loki has been going after patches the Aussie who is also a boy and patches won't back down. They have gotten into fights that only end with me separating them. They have been completely separate for a few days now and patches avoids Loki at all costs, he doesn't even like walking by Loki's kennel. Loki is now 8 months old and is getting fixed in a couple weeks. I'm hoping this helps a little.

Does anyone have any useful advice to help fix this problem?? I have started taking Loki on longer walks and am going to buy a dog pack to give him a job while on walks. I'm also working on being a better alpha but thought I would reach out to see if anyone has experienced this with malamutes.

I will also note it's just male on male. He gets along great with people, kids and female dogs and its seems that it's really only patches he is doing this to.

Edited by author Tue Aug 6, '13 6:55am PST

[notify]