GO!

Malamute ears

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Koda

Barked: Sat Dec 5, '09 10:26am PST 
Hi we have a 11 week old malamute and recently he had both his ears standing erect. but just today we found that one ear has flopped back down. we also have an older dog and they play all the time so i don't if his ear is got injured or not. so i guess my question was do you think his ear will pop back up or stay down.
[notify]
Diesel

Barked: Thu Apr 28, '11 10:05am PST 
Hi, im new here. Me and my brother are 4 in october and when we were pupies we used to play alot and he used to chew my ear and now i have 1 droopy ear, had it checked with vet and theres nothing wrong with me...
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Fri Jul 29, '11 3:57pm PST 
Typically Mal puppy ears will stand up and then droop until they're maybe 8-10 months old. You can train them to stand up, like the German Shepherd people do, by taping or gluing the ears. However, if at one time your puppy's ears stood up erect, they will most likely do so once they are mature. The ears grow faster than the muscles can keep up, so that's why they're sometimes up and sometimes flopped. Totally normal. Giving them good chews will help increase their jaw muscles, which will in turn help their ears stand up.
[notify]