GO!

Giant Alaskan Malamute vs. Alaskan Malamute

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bear

Monster- Fluffball

Barked: Sun Mar 22, '09 10:14pm PST 
Hi everyone! Just out of curiosity: My breeder told my mom/dad that I was a Giant Alaskan Malamute (straight cross with chow), however they cannot find any breed related information concerning the Giant variety, just malamutes. They want to know, is there really any such breed? Or just something we're called? CKC and AKC only have malamute designations. They're wondering because now that they're starting to get into the breed, and have adopted another standard mal, they want to know things like standard height/weight (I'm 117lbs and only 15 months, my vet says I'm underweight, but they can't put that up against anything to be sure). Can someone please link us to a site that separates "giant" and "standard"?
[notify]
Koala

the Alaberian- Malamusky

Barked: Tue Mar 24, '09 9:33pm PST 
The only difference between an Alaskan malamute and a ''giant" Mal is that the so-called Giants are significantly larger than the standard....taller and heavier. Much like 'teacup' versions of toy dogs, giant mals are the result of breeding primarily for size. Your Mal is definitely a 'Giant', far exceeding the standard without being overweight. Some people have legitimate concerns about any breed of dog being purposely bred outside the 'standard', others swear by not only the size, but the temperment and other desireable qualities of certain 'giant' lines. I have had many Mals, some giant some not, and loved them all.
[notify]
ELI,Sunstras- the- Entertainer

Born to play

Barked: Thu Mar 26, '09 3:18pm PST 
Just have your mom and dad keep an eye on your elbows and hips. They are gonna take more wear and tear with your larger size. x-rays every couple of yearsmight be a good idea. I'm more of an " standard " size " at 85 pounds. Either way , Mals are awesome!
[notify]

Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Wed Apr 22, '09 7:30pm PST 
The breed standard for male malamutes is about 85 pounds, so I suppose anything over that would be giant. At 7 months Tanuk is 100lbs, though his breeder tries to stay close to the standard.

Though I have heard of crazy people with 180lbs mals!
[notify]
CH ChekrdFlags Vegas GoGo Girl

All Pyr! From- pasture to show- ring!

Barked: Fri May 1, '09 8:23pm PST 
Bear's page says his litter was an "oops" so the name is something the breeder made up...You are not going to find info. on a "Giant Alaskan Malamute" because there is no such thing.laugh out loud
[notify]
Sitka (in- loving- memory)

The Sweetest- Girl

Barked: Thu May 14, '09 12:28am PST 
There are recognized "Gentle Giants".

From http://alaskanmalamutes.us/AboutAlaskanMalamutes.html

There is a natural range of size in Alaskan Malamutes. Malamutes in weight are "standard" size 65-85, but can weigh up to 140lbs or more, which are considered the Gentle Giants. The "standards" were created originally by one person's modern vision of an ideal malamute (who also never bothered to go to Alaska or the Arctic) and reluctantly increased slightly upward after great political infighting within the AMCA in the 1950s. The functionality for what the dog was originally intended is more important than the size.

Despite heavy pressure from members, the AMCA refused to budge on updating the standard for size and weight, possibly because of the heavy Kotzebue influence on the club. M'Loot dogs are larger than Kotzebue dogs, as are Hinman-Irwin dogs (which heavily influenced the Husky-Pak dogs). There are virtues in all three strains, and the results of crossing the strains. Today most Alaskan Malamutes are the result of mixing M'Loot with Kotzebue or Husky-Pak.
However, many foreign clubs, (UK, France and others) have desirable freighting sizes as a range of 25 to 28 inches for males, and 23 to 26 inches for females.
Interestingly, most show malamutes appear to be above the AMCA standard sizes, despite the AMCA's slavish adherence to the standard inches & pounds in print.
"Despite what our standard says, I am not at all convinced that 85-lb males and 75-lb females are "the ideal freighting size". That statement was a compromise, the best we could do then, and a lot better than the way it was. But, I always felt the "original Malamute was a big dog, even after many generations of survival in a harsh environment. I think the old photos show that. In the 1950s, near Lake Placid, NY, I saw real, honest-to-God good-type Malamutes, brought out of the arctic by Jacques Suzanne, that were bigger than any real Malamutes I have seen before or since.
For many reasons I was told that anyone who ever worked sled dogs had found that big dogs "much less efficient" than the smaller ones. Some even said any dog over 80-lbs was clumsy and more likely to break down and drop out. Not being a driver, I couldn't argue. But now that opinion has been made to look silly by Will Steger and his gallant companions who journeyed totally across Antarctica in what has to be said the greatest feat of human and canine endurance ever on this earth. They accomplished with teams of 100-lb dogs - and their performance was magnificent!"
Robert Zoller
Also interesting is that Arthur Walden, who brought Malamutes and other sled dogs to New England from Alaska and the Yukon, preferred the larger dogs (120 lbs to 165 lbs) for freighting. Mr. Walden actually drove dogs in the 1890s (pre Gold rush and during), for his freighting business. He acquired his dogs from the Innuit, and learned from them. He was able to survive the harsh Arctic and maintain his freighting business because of his dogs, the only reliable transportation there.
[notify]
Chiquita

Barked: Mon Jan 11, '10 8:25pm PST 
My Mal is currently 9 months old and weighs 33.2 kg(72lbs) and is 63-65cm high. She doesn't look overweight to me but her sister is slighter (she was underfed because of competition with other dogs between the ages of 3-6 months though).

I have always fed her puppy food up until a few weeks ago when I read the standard size and realised she was almost at it already. I was told that the puppy food was boosting her growth and so switched her onto adult discuits and continued her bones and chicken routine with added mush (home made) on alternate days.

Her dad was 80kg (176 lbs) (I'm told) and her mother wasn't full grown so its hard to tell what she will be. I hope she still fits through the doggy door full grown...lol
[notify]
Miska

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 12:20pm PST 
Giant Alaskan Malamute absolutely exist but many breeders say no.
Rubbish!!
Breeders especially registered breeders can only breed standard size so they won't make money if they agree that Giants exist since they don't have them.
M'Loot is a recognized giant breed. They we're bred to be bigger than the standard Mal especially for sledding. One giant does the work of 3 standard Alaskan Malamute.
Not to mention that personally i think the giant Alaskan Malamute is much more stunning than a standard.
Getting a standard Mal is like getting a regular dog. Ho-hum, yawn, boring.
Giant Alaskan Malamute (I have 2) are absultely stunning creatures that sometime stop traffic, literarly not to mention have an amazing gentle giant tempermant. IMO a standard mal is like getting a husky and why would I do that?Alaskan Malamutes we're bred to be big from the beginning. Its today's breeders that are breeding them to this ridiculous standard size.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 12:13pm PST 
Actually, proper Giant Alaskan Malamutes are pure-bred descendants of the M'loot type of Malamute that lived with the ancient Inuit peoples in the high Arctic, hundreds of years ago. The Inuit's giant sled dogs were as tall as 35" and weighed over 190lbs. These giant Malamutes were known to be the largest and strongest sled pullers and pack animals.

The other two types of Malamutes are the smaller and currently more populous Kotzebue type and the rarer Hinman-Irwin type, a larger type than the Kotzebue but not as big as the M'loots. The Kotzebue type was the first recognized by the AKC as the Malamute breed, and as such the Breed standards regarding height and weight are based on the Kotzbue dogs. Later, the AKC also recognized the M'loots as registrable Malamutes but did not adjust the size and weight standards for the breed accordingly. They do say in their literature that size and weight can vary and is not as important as strength and proportions.

Basically, the bigger Malamutes are more like the originals that the Inuits bred and created thousands of years ago. We have one of these dogs. His name is Samson and he weights around 132 lbs. at 15 months in age. You can find him on YouTube by searching for "Malamute Meets Creepy Snowman" and/or "Malamute Meets Trumpet".

Edited by author Fri Feb 1, '13 12:17pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 6:36pm PST 
We're interested in getting a Malamute, but never knew there were GIANT'S.
What are the height & weight differences ?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2