GO!

Questions! (thinking of getting one)

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lola

i own u

Barked: Fri Feb 4, '11 5:15am PST 
Hello All.

I own a Shiba Inu and i'm that is 8 months old now. She is so well behaved and easy to care for (if you play with her enough) that i decided to get her a buddy dog once shes over one year old, and i've been doing some research. First we were sure we would get another Shiba, but a black and tan one, but now we're thinking maybe get another breed? My girlfriend wanted a french bulldog or something, but i think we need another breed that is clean and primitive and odorless like the Shiba. So I have a few questions

- I live in Brazil. Would a klee kai suffer living in a warm environment 12 months a year?
- Do they make alot of noise?
- Can they live in an apartment? (its crazy how little space a Shiba needs and how much they sleep. Is the klee kai like that at all?)
- Do their different sizes make a difference in how they are shaped/look?

thanks!!
[notify]
Misha- (R.I.P.- 4/29/13)

Play or hide?! I- dunno... @_@

Barked: Fri Feb 4, '11 9:11am PST 
- I live in Brazil. Would a klee kai suffer living in a warm environment 12 months a year?
Klee Kai can adapt to warmer conditions, they're pretty resilient, but I wouldn't get one unless you can cool them off inside. They need some sort of shelter from the heat, since they do have a pretty thick coat. I'd also add ice to their water on hotter days. smile

They are a talking breed. The different noises they make vary pretty greatly and always mean something. They grumble when they're displeased, greet you when you get home with lots of talking, and bark occasionally. You'll want to try and desensitize them to you leaving at a young age though. That was the one hard thing about having him in an apartment, is for the first month or so he would cry when we left him alone. Having a shiba though may help the dog's need to be with it's pack. I know they also are capable of howling, but I've never heard Misha do it. The talking is something I actually really like about the breed, because there a stronger sense of communication between you and your dog. It's not for everyone though. :o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WM07Xloh9E&feature=related
http ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEGuKcNKUY4
http://www.youtube.com/watch ?v=a1dflrVLNfc&feature=related

- Can they live in an apartment? (its crazy how little space a Shiba needs and how much they sleep. Is the klee kai like that at all?)
We actually had Misha in a studio apartment before we moved into our house. One room/bed for me, my boyfriend, a cat and a dog. They are pack animals for sure and are pretty happy as long as you're there. But you'll need to make sure they get a good work out every day, or else they get all of this pent up energy and can be obnoxious (Misha starts barking at us for attention when he hasn't gotten enough exersize).

Not really no, there is a possibility of getting all three sizes in the same litter. There are different coat lengths and colors though. Some klee kai have very short coats and others have longer ones. Misha's dad had a long coat and his mum had a short one; his ended up being kind of in between like a fox.
[notify]
Lola

i own u

Barked: Fri Feb 4, '11 9:58am PST 
thanks!! its a really cool breed... only problem is ill probably have to get one from the US without seeing them. What breeder did you get Misha from?

I guess mine would have to have short hair due to the weather. What size is misha?
[notify]

Misha- (R.I.P.- 4/29/13)

Barked: Fri Feb 4, '11 11:11am PST 
I got Misha from Rose City Klee Kai in Portland, Oregon (well, in Gresham really, but we consider pretty much all of those small towns part of the Portland area XD). There's a bunch of breeders all through California too.
I think the biggest challenge will be finding one willing to ship to Brazil. Also, it's a bit hard to tell how big the pups are going to get when they're little. They change in looks pretty drastically as they age. And even if you can't make the trip to see them in person, you can definitely request pictures of the pups, sire, and dam.
Here's a couple breeder lists:
http://www.akkaoa.org/breeders.html
http://www.alaskankl... 2/breeder-list/

Misha is standard size, 16". smile He's a pretty big as far as Klee Kai go.
[notify]
Lola

i own u

Barked: Fri Feb 4, '11 11:25am PST 
I hope I can get them to send one... I am going to do a lot of research and talk to some kennels. Thank you for the help misha! ill be comming to this forum to ask more things!
[notify]
Lola

i own u

Barked: Fri Feb 4, '11 11:27am PST 
Would you say that the AKK is primitive in behaviour (independent) ? Aloof with strangers?
[notify]
Misha- (R.I.P.- 4/29/13)

Barked: Fri Feb 4, '11 11:43am PST 
When it comes to family, they take great joy being with you as much as they can. I wouldn't really call them an independent breed.

However, they do tend to be naturally shy around strange people.

Misha likes to sniff new people when they aren't looking, but he definitely won't greet them, or enjoy them trying to pet him until he gets used to them being around (and even then, he's very cautious). He has pretty extreme shyness though, even for a klee kai.
[notify]
Sizzle

Hiii...Squirrel.- ..my name is- Sizzle

Barked: Fri Feb 4, '11 8:37pm PST 
Misha has posted some great info, figured I'd go ahead & post my answers too. You can never have enough info when it comes to a new breed laugh out loud

Hello All.

I own a Shiba Inu and i'm that is 8 months old now. She is so well behaved and easy to care for (if you play with her enough) that i decided to get her a buddy dog once shes over one year old, and i've been doing some research. First we were sure we would get another Shiba, but a black and tan one, but now we're thinking maybe get another breed? My girlfriend wanted a french bulldog or something, but i think we need another breed that is clean and primitive and odorless like the Shiba. So I have a few questions

Totally agree with Misha, they are a pretty resilient little breed, BUT they are bred down huskies so they need to be able to come into to a cool area.
Yes, they are a very talkative breed. They will talk when nervous, excited, angry, happy anything they will talk to you & they will talk loudly laugh out loud Sorta like the Shiba scream, Esme is the master of it, haven't heard Sizzle yet but we just brought her home today.
The klee kai can definatly live in an apartment, they can do with little exercise or lots of exercise. With Esme & Sizzle, they are pretty hyper Klee Kai but all aren't like that. I would think they could stick with a Shiba although I don't know much about them.
I wouldn't say the sizes make a difference but they can look differently, take a look at Sizzle & E. Sizzle has a lot longer of a muzzle and her ears are different, she is also a lot more petite than Esme, but it has to do with their parents etc. Misha is right you can get all colors, sizes, eye colors in the same litter & there is no guarantee that you will get a size or color in a certain litter. Sizzle's sister, Dreama, is a Mini & Sizzle is a small red, blue eyed toy which is EXTREMELY rare.
Another thing to think about when getting a klee kai is they need INTENSE socialization for their entire lives, but especially when they are puppies. They are prone to shyness so it takes lots of work. Also they are a pretty new breed, been around since about the 70s if I recall correctly, so most breeders are pretty cautious about who they give them too & you will most likely be put on a waiting list. Red AKKs are RARE, period. I NEVER thought I would get one because they were so rare, lots of breeders are working on the genetics so they can get more(my breeder included she has had 3 reds in the past year) but most of the time they are used as breeding dogs to try and make more reds, or sold to show homes. I think the best thing to do is find a breeder that you like & talk to them, LOTS. I talked to Sherry(my breeder for a YEAR before bringing Esme home & she got to know me so well that I didnt end up on her waiting list & I was offered Sizzle before anyone else) it pays off to talk to them a lot. My breeder does NOT ship her puppies, I think most other breeders will, not very sure on that though.
Hope I helped you a little bit & good luck in your quest for your next pup

wave
[notify]
Esmerelda

They call me Lil- E....

Barked: Fri Feb 4, '11 9:07pm PST 
It would not let me edit my post shrug I know that was a long post, but they are AWESOME dogs & once you get one you want 100 more laugh out loud & I hope I didnt sound obnoxious or anything in my above post red face
[notify]
Lola

i own u

Barked: Sat Feb 5, '11 9:05am PST 
Not obnoxious at all! thanks!

Question: are they vocal enough that they will annoy neighbors?

About the socialization, i know that it has to be really intense since little. Lola, my Shiba was incredibly shy and scared all the time... i guess its a trait for primitive breeds.

What is the name of the kennel where you got Sizzle and Esmeralda?

THey all look so amazing, I cant tell which is best! But I will im getting more and mroe convinced that this is the breed for us. I just hope I can get a breeder to send one to me, or else ill have to go to us just for that..

THANKS!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2