GO!

Hello!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
Sizzle

Hiii...Squirrel.- ..my name is- Sizzle

Barked: Thu Feb 3, '11 6:59am PST 
It seems like she has a lot of problems with children & fast paced items or things with wheels, like strollers and skateboarders thinking. With clicker training you click when they show a behavior you WANT, so you would click & treat when she is quiet while children are passing, or when a skateboard goes by & she ignores it, or when a stroller goes by and she ignores it as well. You would have to start by loading the clicker, you do that by simply click & treat, so that Kiska will understand that when she hears a click she gets a treat, be sure to treat IMMEDIATELY after you click & click as SOOON as you see the behavior you want. It will take time for her to become completely better, & she will still probably be a bit vocal but that is simply the breed. Hope that helps you a little laugh out loud, I know clicker training has been really helpful with Esme & taking her out in public.
Maybe wait til it gets a bit warmer to sit on the bench with her & after you have started clicker training (if that is something you are interested in that is) that way you can click and treat while you are sitting on the bench, just click when she acknowledges something scary but is quiet and then looks away from it to you for click & treat. She needs to learn that she doesn't have to worry about scary stuff, that you will worry for her big grin
Yeah, it would probably be best to wait until Kiska is a bit older & you have worked with her issues & socialized her a bit more before adding another, they can be a handful eek. I was NOT planning on adding another AKK this soon, I mean Esme is just a puppy about 4 months old, & here we are adding a dog that is going into terrible twos, but Esme's breeder pretty much begged me to take her laugh out loud She is a special girl that needs to go to a special home & I am honored that she chose me cloud 9 Bostons are a great breed if thats what you decide on!!
[notify]
Kiska

Barked: Thu Feb 3, '11 1:04pm PST 
Huh, that might be a possibility to try the clicker training. The only problem I see with that is that she has almost NEVER been calm around children or wheels!
I'll discuss it with Kiska's teacher at her puppy play group tonight. Her teacher seems to think it's a guarding issue, but the whole Kiska not being allowed onto the bed or couch doesn't seem to be changing her behavior outside one bit, if anything, it's gotten worse!
I have to admit that I am a bit nervous about Kiska and her reaction to children....my brother in law has a 2 year old boy and I know that they are all very excited to meet Kiska when we go to Paris next week, but I'm afraid that Kiska may not take kindly to a loud 2 year old who likes to run. It's also going to be really hard to explain that the kid can't go insane with the dog, especially because I feel like in Europe, people are still kind of stuck in the stone ages when it comes to dogs (like, they don't believe in obedience classes, and they are all about potty training by sticking the dog's nose in their pee/poo. They also strongly believe that all pitbulls are killing machines and that they all need to be put down, and that once a dog has tasted blood, it will be a bloodthirsty, killing maniac that needs to be put down IMMEDIATELY). Plus my mother in law is a champion worry wart and loves to find things to stress out about, and she is DEFINITELY going to go to town with the whole "Kiska hates children" thing. As it is, she is constantly emailing my mother, telling her that she worries so much about us because she thinks we are incapable of handling a puppy whom she thinks is extremely high energy; so high energy that we were obliged to pay perfectly good money on a puppy class, which she seems to believe is for dogs that are problem animals...!
[notify]
Sizzle

Barked: Thu Feb 3, '11 3:16pm PST 
I really DON'T think that its a guarding issue because Esme will act like this when she is nervous or excited. AKKs are very very vocal, thats how they express themselves, so instead of being shy I think Kiska is barking at it releasing her nerves. AKKs aren't popular most places & they are SOOOO different, many trainers may not even know what to think of them. Maybe talk to her breeder about it as well & see what she has to say.
Something you could do with clicker training is buy a skateboard & just have it beside her & click & treat when she looks at it & then back at you, then once she does that well, move up to rolling it across the floor, click & treat when she looks at it, doesnt react & looks back at you, then move outside to the other stuff. If you have any friends who have kids I would utilize them with Kiska, take her to a place where there are children playing start far enough away that she doesn't react but notices them, click & treat, then move closer, if she reacts move away, continue until you are close to them. I would go ahead and warn your sister & BIL about Kiska, its not that she is aggressive I think its because she hasn't been around kids so its scary for her. I mean look at it from her eyes, if you were that small and something was bigger than you running at you, around you, screaming, being loud you would be scared too. But let them know so that they can begin talking to the child and maybe working on some manners with him that he will need once Kiska comes.
Clicker training is a wonderful tool to use if your pup is food motivated. AKKs are known to have a high prey drive & yet when Esme sees a clicker in my hand she is totally focused on me, its amazing. I think it will hlep you alot, I also think talking to your breeder would be helpful for you. I have a very close relationship with Sherry, Esme's breeder, & go to her with all of my problems or questions with Esme, she is very helpful.
[notify]

Misha- (R.I.P.- 4/29/13)

Play or hide?! I- dunno... @_@

Barked: Thu Feb 3, '11 11:12pm PST 
Gah! I had a big post typed up but my browser crashed and I lost it. XD

The jist of it was, I totally second clicker training to help Kiska. big grin AKK are much more likely to get very nervous and act out around unfamiliar things than to guard (though the will guard homes and yards).

Here are some videos that will hopefully help smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5BjvNScFPs&playnext=1&list=PL1 EBCB9220A29DBC6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY7JrteQBOQ&feature= channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXCELHDT2fs&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n_fPKPLA2g&feature=channel

http: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=tusWcpsEihw
http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=hXeSvoeorEI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWEsn0 rxj40&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49n-UZB5HJE&fe ature=related

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. smile
[notify]
Kiska

Barked: Fri Feb 4, '11 2:03pm PST 
Thanks Sizzle and Misha for the clicker training help.
I'll try to buy one tomorrow afternoon if we have time - we're having a small dinner party for my birthday tomorrow and then on Sunday we leave for Paris...!
My husband and I were saying that it's definitely something we could work on next week in France. His parents live in the suburbs and they have a really, really gigantic backyard that is completely enclosed, and it'll be nice for Kiska to play out there, and also they've got all sorts of bikes and his brother has a stroller, etc.
Will definitely keep you updated!
[notify]
Sizzle

Barked: Fri Feb 4, '11 7:22pm PST 
Nice videos Misha!!
& Good luck Kiska!!
Its good talking to other AKK owners, besides my breeder, although I do love her so laugh out loud We all must continue to talk on here big grin

Okay, sooo I will update you on Sizzle. We met Sherry at about 2:30, we brought E with us so Sherry could see her as she has grown sooo much since we brought her home. E did well drooled a little but overall did great, she also did great once we got to the parking lot, it was a busy parking lot near a road although we were away from most of the traffic. Sizzle did a lot better than expected with us, Sherry handed her straight to DH & she was fine. She threw up on the way home, but wasnt nervous acting or anything. Once we got her here we babygated her into the kitchen to drink water because we didnt want her to dehydrate since she had been puking, she drank lots of water. We then introduced her to the pack & she did great with everyone, our intact(soon to be neutered) male was a bit & still is obsessive with her. She is a bit timid with us, doesnt want us picking her up or going up to her and petting her, she will LET us pick her up. She ate her food & will take food from us, she also follows us around so she is doing well. Hopefully she will continue to get better each day!! big grin
[notify]
Misha- (R.I.P.- 4/29/13)

Play or hide?! I- dunno... @_@

Barked: Sat Feb 5, '11 11:30pm PST 
That's fantastic to hear! big grin Getting everyone in the pack to get to know each other can be rough, it's good to see that Sizzle took readily to having different dogs in her family. smile She'll be all over you with love in no time!

We had a couple of my friends come down to stay with us for the past couple of days and Misha did way better than I thought he would. I just kept giving him treats when he was around us. I also had them sit on the floor and I set treats on their legs and hands for him to take. XD By the end of tonight, he was laying with us on the couch and trying to get them to play with him while we were playing video games. big grin Though if he weren't such a shy boy that bit might actually be really annoying...but I was just so happy to see him warming up to guests. :3
[notify]
Sizzle

Barked: Sun Feb 6, '11 2:28pm PST 
Thats awesome Misha!! Esme never has trouble with people in the house, Sizzle is really skittish, she comes to me & wants me to pick her up ALLLL the time now, shes attaching to me really quickly.
I am actually thinking about showing her in the altered class, anyone have any thouhgts?
[notify]
Kiska

Barked: Mon Feb 14, '11 8:26am PST 
Hi everyone!
We're back from our trip to France!
Misha, congrats on the progress!
Sizzle, sorry, I don't know anything about showing dogs...have you decided yet though what you want to do?

BTW, yes, we think Kiska's leash walking issues are definitely from overstimulation - we walked her at my husband's parents' village and she was fine. She was okay in Paris; she went a little insane a few times, but mostly at peak hours, like when the kids were coming out of school. The weather was unusually warm though so we got to sit outside at a park and just watch some kids playing soccer. Kiska still went crazy though when joggers would run by, so that's something we have to work on. It's relatively warm today in NYC so maybe we will go to the river and sit on a bench and watch all the joggers run by.

Also, I just need to rant really quickly - a lot of people in France do not believe in dog training/obedience or socialization (my husband was like, "Duh, we have no dog parks here, no one in this country has ever heard of a dog park!"), so first of all, whenever Kiska met other dogs on the street, they would get really scared of her and start barking at her like crazy, or try to attack her! Then, I don't know what is wrong with people, but they just don't listen! People were always coming up to us trying to pet Kiska - but they didn't even ask permission! They'd just come running up and start aggressively trying to touch her, cooing about how cute she was. My husband and I would say, "Please don't pet her like that, she's very nervous around strangers" and everyone would ignore us! (Well, they'd either say, "Oh, really?" and keep trying to pet her, even though Kiska kept trying to back away, or they'd say, "Oh, well, that's okay, she's too cute!" and keep petting her!) When Kiska tried to dodge their hands petting her head, they'd try to pet her paws or her hindquarters!!!!!! Even when I was holding her in my arms!!!!! And then the children!!! They'd see her from far away and then they would start running to pet her! My husband would tell them, "Don't touch her, because she's very scared of children, but you can let her sniff your hand first" they would completely ignore him, and do the same thing as the adults, trying to pet her really aggressively.
It was SOOOOO annoying....so obviously Kiska has not made any progress with strangers and I really hope it doesn't get worse...
[notify]
Sizzle

Barked: Mon Feb 14, '11 1:17pm PST 
Kiska sounds like you had a good time, although some frustrating times. I have not decided what I'm going to do, my breeder wants me to show her in the altered class, so we'll see.
Thats good that you now know what is causing her problems & you can fix it, sounds like you took some steps towards fixing it as well. I really really hate when people don't listen when I tell them not to pet my dog, I know say she will bite you if you force yourself on her, so let her smell your hand first and come to you. It helps a little bit, with children I pull away if they come charging at me & I get down on their level & say "My puppy is a little scared of children so put your hand out, let her sniff it, & then scratch under her chin okay? Don't ever run up & pet a dog you don't know okay?" It has worked alot & I find that alot of children in my area listen to me & if they won't then I stand up & say then you may not pet my dog, if you can't follow my rules. Hope you can get some work in with Kiska, I'm sure you can nip it in the bud in no time big grin
Things with Sizzle are going great, she has attached to me & is playing now & waggin & being herself. Its great to have 2 AKKs, now I see why you need 2 cloud 9
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4