GO!

Hello!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  
Kiska

Barked: Sun Jan 30, '11 8:01pm PST 
Yay! Congrats on the progress!!!
Kiska also prefers to play with dogs smaller than herself. I suspect she likes knowing she's bigger/taller and that she can do fun things like jump over them since she's taller. I guess she doesn't like big dogs because they are stronger, and do uncool things like knock her over and step on her! frown
We spent this weekend toting Kiska around in the Sturdibag and I think for everyday errands, the Sherpa tote is easier, only because it is not so wide, so it's really like a large handbag. The Sturdibag is better if you're doing a longer trip (like if we go to my mom's house for the weekend, which is only 30 minutes away by commuter train, we'd take the Sturdibag). The Sherpa tote should still be ok, since it's 15" high - so if Mischa gets scared and wants to hide, he'll still have enough room to lie down.
Let me know which bag you get, and if Mischa likes it!!
[notify]
Esmerelda

They call me Lil- E....

Barked: Mon Jan 31, '11 7:29pm PST 
Hello other AKK owners,
I haven't read all the posts yet, but am going to go back and read them all right now smile
I am 1 AKK at the moment & am getting ready to add another on Friday. We have done lots & lots of socialization with Esme and she is doing great, loves to go on hikes with Momma, but still gets kinda nervous out in the hustle & bustle of town wink
Great to see a few other active Dogster AKK owners blue dog
[notify]
Sizzle

Hiii...Squirrel.- ..my name is- Sizzle

Barked: Mon Jan 31, '11 7:32pm PST 
This is my soon to be other AKK, I am also Esmerelda's Momma laugh out loud
[notify]

Misha- (R.I.P.- 4/29/13)

Play or hide?! I- dunno... @_@

Barked: Mon Jan 31, '11 9:05pm PST 
@Kiska - Weirdly enough, it was this tiny Chihauhau/Dachshund type dog that knocked him over the most. XD It was a third of his size, but so persistent! He just didn't know what to do.
I'll see if there's anywhere near here that sells Sherpa totes. smile If I can't find any place, I know there's a couple in Washington (which I'll be visiting soon-ish) so I'll check 'em out then. :3

@Sizzle - What a beautiful red AKK! :o I dog see these very often, let me know how introducing her to Esmerelda goes. big grin

David at Rose City Klee Kai got a red pup not too long ago, so hopefully we'll get some gorgeous pups out in Oregon soon. :3 My boyfriend's not too crazy about the red/white variety, but I'll take one of each
[notify]
Sizzle

Barked: Tue Feb 1, '11 8:19am PST 
Misha- Yes Reds are relatively rare, E's breeder has been working a lot with genetics so she has had 3 reds in the past year big grin My hubby actually loves the reds, black & white are my favorite blue dog I want one of each as well laugh out loud How do your pups do with other dogs in your home? Esme is fine with them in our house, playful and cocky, but outside the house she gets a little timid, but we are working on it big grin
[notify]
Misha- (R.I.P.- 4/29/13)

Play or hide?! I- dunno... @_@

Barked: Tue Feb 1, '11 9:33am PST 
We've never had other dogs in our home so I'm really not sure. :o I think he'd do okay after getting used to them, but we'll see. XD Now that he's discovered the joys of playing with dogs at the dog park, he may like having someone else in the house who can keep up with his energy.
We only have a cat right now, which he does REALLY well with, except he doesn't understand any sort of cat communication. There are times when she clearly has no patience for his shenanigans, and he just doesn't get it. >_>;;;
The only time I have to seperate them is when she's playing with her toys (and by playing...I mean viciously trying to kill them). He wants to play too, but she growls and will smack him in the snout if he doesn't back off. >_>
Some houses have to worry about high prey drive dogs hurting their cats, but here it's the other way around. shrug
[notify]
Esmerelda

They call me Lil- E....

Barked: Tue Feb 1, '11 10:29am PST 
We have 2 cats Misha so I feel you and here its the cats who will do the damage not the dogs laugh out loud. E is pretty shy outside so I have been trying to take her out with me lots more so she can get used to everything. She LOVES to walk & go on hikes though, its been pretty the past few days & when I pick up her leash she goes bananas cheer But I am proud that she listens when I say sit even outside, with everything going on big grin
[notify]
Kiska

Barked: Tue Feb 1, '11 10:31am PST 
Wow, Sizzle is beautiful! I think the red/white AKK's are very beautiful!

Misha, I have noticed when Kiska plays with dogs, that even though some dogs are shorter or smaller, they have much more muscle and can play really rough. When we took her to the small dog park, there was an adult French Bulldog that was playng pretty rough and Kiska did NOT appreciate it - she kept running over to me so I could pick her up. (Finally the Frenchie's mom took him next door to the big dog park).

That is so good that Misha gets along (sort of?) with the cat. My mom lives about 30 minutes away and she has 3 cats. We go to her house on the weekends, and Kiska cannot stand the cats and they cannot stand her. One of my mom's cats actually grew up with a puppy before she came to us, and she's the only one of the cats not afraid of Kiska. (She's 10 now). She is always hanging around Kiska, which makes Kiska bark and try to play with her or leap on her (it varies, sometimes she invites the cat to play and sometimes she doesn't), but I suspect the cat is trying to show her who is boss. She hisses at Kiska, and has scratched her a few times, but not enough to break the skin on her muzzle, which is why I suspect that Kiska hasn't really understood the concept of claws and still keeps barking at the cats! I guess they won't be friends anytime soon since they only see each other every other weekend and Destiny is 10 now, but it's a shame since Kiska has many cat like qualities and Destiny has many dog like qualities frown

Anyway right now Kiska is having some major issues - she keeps going insane, barking and lunging at people on the street, especially children (yikes!) and anyone/anything with wheels. Our trainer said she was guarding us and now Kiska is not allowed on the couch or the bed this week, but I've noticed it's gotten worse. I suspect she is not only guarding us, but it could be a case of overstimulation. I think Kiska in particular seems to be very very aware of everything going on around her and being in NYC I think it might be a bit much, especially because we live in a very very busy neighborhood with small streets. It's like she goes into a whole other zone when she starts barking and lunging and she's closed out everything else. Yesterday I saw a mailman approching from far away with his mail cart thing and I managed to get Kiska to sit on the side of the street and I put my hand on her and she seemed to calm down and just watched the mail cart go by with curiosity. I'd like to just sit on a bench or something and let her watch all the activity, but it's REALLY cold right now and I don't think I could handle it! The bag is not helping right now because she's going crazy in the bag barking at people.... Any ideas?
[notify]
Sizzle

Barked: Wed Feb 2, '11 9:31am PST 
Thanks Kiska!! I actually prefer black & white, but I think Sizzle is absolutely stunning & we are so lucky to be bringing her home with us cloud 9

Hmm, it does seem like Kiska is overstimulated to me, AKKs are very very vocal when they are nervous, curious, excited, or overstimulated, so it makes sense that she is barking at everything. I think the bet thing to do would probably be to sit down on a bench as often as possible and just let her watch everything, maybe reward whenever she ignores or ackownledges the things that she usually reacts at. Have you tried clicker training? It is absolutely amazing & I find it help Esme to focus on me, like when we are outside she will focus on me & sit & lay down. I think lots more socialization would probably help too, AKKs need lots & lots of it, but it seems you are on the right track big grin
Where are guys located at, I know Kiska said NYC, what about you Misha? Anyone going to the AKK specialty show in Athens, TN?
Anyone thinking of adding another AKK soon laugh out loud
[notify]
Kiska

Barked: Wed Feb 2, '11 8:02pm PST 
Hi Sizzle,
Yeah, I am not so sure anymore that Kiska is guarding us, but I really think it's overstimulation. We took her in her bag on the bus to the small dog park today; she did bark a bit in her bag when some kids got on the bus - not sure how she even saw they were kids because I had put the "blinds" on both ends of her bag so she couldn't see out, only left the flap open on top, but she was still lying down in the bag. I had to close the top flap too so she couldn't see out... frown But then we walked her from the bus stop to the small dog park (at least 8 blocks) and she seemed ok, much better than in our neighborhood. She had a good, hard play at the park and then we walked her over to the dog friendly bar in that neighborhood (at least 12 - 15 blocks) and she was really fine, she only freaked out when there were 2 little kids running in one direction, then 3 bigger kids running from the opposite direction, then a stroller, then a dude running, and I guess it was all just too much for her and she went insane. After that though, she seemed fine and was walking without any issues. My husband and I were saying that it could be that our neighborhood, and our street in particular, is just way too noisy what with all the construction, and that the street is more narrow and there are a lot more people (we actually live across the street and down the block from Ground Zero).

I really do want to sit on a bench with Kiska, but it is REALLY cold right now. She does like to just sit on the sidewalk to the side and sometimes I'll just let her sit there for awhile as she watches everything. Thanks for the clicker training idea, maybe I will give it a try. Do you click when she starts barking? Because when Kiska starts barking, I feel like she's gone at that point and she won't hear anything....

An AKK breeder emailed me today saying that she had gotten my name from another breeder whom I had contacted, and she has an adult AKK that she needs to place in a home. I would have loved to take her, but seeing as Kiska is my first dog and she's still a puppy, we don't think we can really handle another dog at the moment.... frown but maybe in the near future? Don't know if we will get another AKK if we get another dog; we were actually looking to get a Boston Terrier before we ended up with Kiska...!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4