GO!

Hello!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Misha- (R.I.P.- 4/29/13)

Play or hide?! I- dunno... @_@

Barked: Thu Jan 20, '11 12:10pm PST 
Hey all my fellow AKK owners. smile Just joined up, it seems like it's hard to find places where there are losts of AKK owners to talk to. I guess there's not a whole lot of us. XD

Just wondering if anyone has shy or timid AKKs, and if so, what do you do to ease their anxiety? Misha is so high energy and affectionate when it's just us, but when strangers are around he gets really nervous. He has even pooped while running away when a large stranger turned around too suddenly. =

Cheers
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Fri Jan 21, '11 11:03pm PST 
Hey Misha! There are about two AKKs, Lilith included, that are regularly on the forums. smile hopefully there will be more!

Shyness is an issue in some AKKs.. I would just work on positive association and lots if socialization..see how that turns out. Invite friends over that will give him yummy treats, and move onto asking perhaps people outdoors (at parks, etc) to give him treats you give the person. I'd try that!
[notify]
Kiska

Barked: Sat Jan 22, '11 3:59pm PST 
Hi Misha,
I'm new too! Kiska is also relatively shy around people though she doesn't run away. We live in NYC in a very high traffic pedestrian area (at least during the day during the week, it really clears out at night and on the weekends) so we get a lot of strangers coming up to try to pet her and she really doesn't like it (admittedly, some of the strangers are also really, really creepy). Before she had her shots we used to take her with us everywhere in a big tote bag and she would literally shake with fear when she saw all the people and all the traffic - she would stick her head back inside the bag and hide, but then she'd come right back out again because she was kind of curious, too. We take her to puppy kindergarten and puppy play groups and we are going to start her on daycare soon. She is much better than she was before, except that lately (since Tuesday) she has taken to growling and barking at random people in the street (the ones that set her off are babies, children, people with wheels on their bags/luggage, and people carrying large shopping bags, also delivery people on bikes, but sometimes completely random, unthreatening looking people). The trainer at our puppy kindergarten says that we just need to keep socializing her and keep bringing her everywhere with us whenever we can.
[notify]

Misha- (R.I.P.- 4/29/13)

Barked: Sun Jan 23, '11 11:33am PST 
Thanks for the advice! big grin We had one of my friends come down and stay with us for a few days. She's a smaller girl, so Misha was shy but not enough to try and bolt. He would sneak up behind her and sniff her when she was looking the other the way. XD By the end of her stay, he would play with her when she was on the ground with him and would let her walk him at the park. smile This was a pretty big breakthrough.

I'm hoping to get him into obedience training classes soon, so hopefully that will help him get used to being around other dogs and people.

Lilith and Kiska are BEAUTIFUL!!
[notify]
Kiska

Barked: Mon Jan 24, '11 9:26am PST 
Wow, congrats on the progress you have made, Misha!

I don't know about you, but Kiska is my very first dog, and the one thing that I have learned is that I really need to be patient with her. Just when I start to get at my wit's end and I'm losing hope is when she makes a lot of progress!

I think obedience classes would be very helpful for Misha - I've found that puppy kindergarten has been very very helpful for Kiska (and also for me!)

I forgot to mention that where we do puppy kindergarten, they also do a free puppy play group and a small dog play group once a week. We go every week with Kiska and it has been by far the most helpful! Her very first time there, she wouldn't play with anyone and she basically sat by herself in a corner all night with her back to everyone! But when we went the second time, she came out of her shell a little more and she spent the night playing with a miniature Pinscher. (They separate the puppies by size/energy level, so for example on one side of the room there was a Samoyed puppy, a Mastiff puppy, and a Spitz mix puppy and then on the other side was Kiska, the miniature Pinscher, and a Havanese). On Kiska's third week she was going around inviting all the other puppies to play with her, and she started approaching the other puppy parents to sniff them! We all look forward to puppy play group and we think that it has done wonders for her!
[notify]
Misha- (R.I.P.- 4/29/13)

Barked: Mon Jan 24, '11 7:58pm PST 
That's a fantastic idea! :O I'll have to check and see if there are any places with puppy kindergarden around here because that would really be perfect. We've taken him to the dog park, but most of the dogs were a bit too big for him to feel comfortable. Having puppies around might loosen him up a bit. smile Thanks for the advice!
[notify]
Kiska

Barked: Thu Jan 27, '11 9:39pm PST 
Do you have any dog parks near you that divide them up into small dogs/big dogs? We took Kiska this afternoon to a "small dog park" (only after making sure it wasn't crowded) and she had a blast! But this morning, my husband took her to the regular dog park near our apt and it did not go well - Kiska gets nervous around big dogs too. But hopefully this will change soon - she played with a pitbull a little bit on the street, and tonight in puppy play group, she played with a Mastiff puppy. She played well at first but then she got a little mean with him, but I suspect she was annoyed because he drooled all over her (and it was a LOT of drool, she was all soaking wet, and she had a hunk of drool on her nose that she was trying to rub off with her paw).

What also helped us with Kiska was that we carried her everywhere in a tote bag (this was before she had all her shots). It was great because she could stick her head out, but if she got scared she could easily duck back into her bag and hide. At first she was terrified of people coming over and screaming "OMG WHAT A CUTE DOG" and she'd hide, she'd also hide when we were waiting to cross the street (we live on a major avenue and there is a crazy amount of traffic), but then she'd stick her head back out 5 seconds later because she was so curious! Since she sort of went back to being scared when we took her out on the leash, we put her back in her tote bag and did a full day of errands with her, then ended up at a dog-friendly bar yesterday. It seems to have done wonders for her, as she is definitely not barking at people as much as she used to. We took her to a bunch of stores yesterday and today, and everyone wanted to give her doggie treats, and that also seems to have helped with her fear of people.

I don't know how big Misha is, but maybe you can put him in some sort of a bag where he can also stick his head out? We have a Sherpa tote bag and we just got another carrier, the Sturdibag, that is more like a traditional carrier but has a little compartment on top where the dog can poke its head out and look around.
[notify]
Misha- (R.I.P.- 4/29/13)

Barked: Fri Jan 28, '11 12:41pm PST 
The only couple of dog parks we've been to don't have seperate areas for big and small dogs. frown It's pretty open, though at least the one we took him to first had pretty calm dogs and owners. Even the larger dogs could see he wasn't quite ready to play yet, so they'd come over and give him a sniff and then go on their way. If I can't find one with a section for small dogs, we'll probably go back to the first one.

I think Misha's a bit big for a bag, but I'd have to double check. I'm pretty sure he's full-grown standard size, so I dunno if they make bags that big. I think he'd like that though. smile They are a VERY curious breed, despite the shyness. Sometimes I really wish we had gotten him when he was a little puppy instead of at 7 months, but ah well.

Do you find places are generally okay with small dogs? I'm always worried that dogs aren't allowed, and they just haven't posted signs about it. >_> We stopped at a donut shop on the way back from the park one day, and I was sitting outside on the ground while my boyfriend stood in line. They eventually noticed and said it was alright to come in. XD

Sounds like Kiska is really doing well! I have hope. big grin

EDIT:

Yeah it looks like he's too big for a bag. XD Height-wise anyways. Couldn't get a clear measurement on him, but he's definitely taller than 11" (the large size sherpa bag).

Edited by author Fri Jan 28, '11 12:52pm PST

[notify]
Kiska

Barked: Fri Jan 28, '11 9:15pm PST 
Kiska is going to be a standard size too (we think! She might be a miniature - her mom is actually a large standard and her dad is a small miniature). She's currently 13" tall at the withers.

The Sherpa tote should be OK - I tried to Google it but I couldn't find it - I guess ours is out of stock or discontinued? I think it's called Jazzy by Sherpa. There's a whole line of Sherpa totes, like the Tote Around Town, or the Park Avenue. They are 15" high, which is perfect for Kiska right now. They are not very wide, but they are really just meant for the dog to sit inside and their head to stick out (though I push her head inside and close the bag all the way when we go on the subway/bus). But lest you think I am being mean and inhumane, there is enough room for her to lie down and stretch out her front legs, and sometimes she will curl up in a ball and fall asleep! The other bag we have is a Sturdibag. We have the large size which she will might outgrow but it's just for our trip on the plane that we're taking next month. They do make one that is XL that would be perfect for when Kiska is an adult, it measures 16" high. We tried it out with her inside, and it's really lightweight, just looks really large! All the Sturdibags have a zipper opening on top, just big enough for the dog's head to stick out, so even if you get a large, maybe it would be OK if you open it on top and Misha could stick his head out when you do errands? The store we got it from was super nice and let us try both sizes out with Kiska inside.

I've found it really depends on each store/person working there, whether they allow dogs or not. A few times we have brought Kiska to Whole Foods...the sign on the door says no pets allowed, but we've always had her completely enclosed in a bag. So far all the people working at Whole Foods gush if they see her and want to pet her. (Most of the time, no one notices). I don't feel comfortable bringing her into a grocery store though, so I don't take her there anymore (though granted the last few times, we happened to be nearby and it was FREEZING so one of us couldn't really wait outside). The other day we brought Kiska on leash into a shoe store, and the girl working there was fine with it and even gave her treats. We've also brought Kiska a few times to various wine stores, Barnes & Noble, and Bed Bath & Beyond. The last two stores, she was enclosed in her bag, we asked the security guard and they said it was fine and wanted to pet her. For the wine stores (my husband is French, so we are often at the wine store!) we bring her in on leash or we carry her in our arms, and she gets treats from everyone every time. We also will sometimes take her to smaller pet stores, just so she's exposed to people, and we know for sure that she's allowed there!

As far as I know, where we live there are only 2 dog parks that separate into large and small dogs, neither of them is within walking distance and would require taking Kiska on the subway or bus. It's too much of a hassle to take her when I'm by myself, but my husband and I think we'll start taking her more often on days when we are both free. The other thing that we do sometimes is take Kiska to the dog park near us if there are no other dogs there (but this is just so she can get rid of her excess energy; she loves to run around like crazy back and forth, especially now that there is a ton of snow!)

Edited by author Fri Jan 28, '11 9:21pm PST

[notify]
Misha- (R.I.P.- 4/29/13)

Barked: Sun Jan 30, '11 1:19pm PST 
The XL Sturdibag might work big grin Got a good measurement on him finally, he's about 16" and probably won't be getting any bigger. I'll look into it next time we can get to the pet store.

Good news on the dog park front! We took him over yesterday and he had a blast. big grin It only took him about 10min to get used to all of the new sights/smells, after that he would run over to any small-sized dog to say Hi. XD He thinks pretty much every dog is there to chase him, but is alarmed when some of the larger dogs can keep up. Sometimes he'd take off to the other side of the park, get a dog's attention, and then run it back to us. It was a really good day, and I'm so proud. :3

Still pretty people shy, but at the dog park there was so much fun and excitement that he hardly noticed the other owners.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4