GO!

Maybe a little help with my AKK.

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Niko

Mr.- Invisible...wait- , you can see- me?

Barked: Wed Nov 12, '08 9:38am PST 
I got my first AKK almost 7 weeks ago when he was almost 8 months old. He had only lived in a kennel with his pack the entire time with little human interaction. My problem is stemming from not being able to train him because he doesn't like to be touched (he ENJOYS me touching him only when we're laying down and he allows me to touch him otherwise) so I can't make him understand what sit means because he goes submissive when I calmly try to push his bottom to the floor and say "sit." He comes when he's called but not as oftem when we go outside. I've been reading what Cesar says and I'm going to continue trying his methods...but if anyone has ever dealt with a case of a dog not socialized at all for the first 7 months of their existence, I'd love to hear some ideas...please.

I'm a dog-lover tried and true, and I've had many dog companions, growing up with them my whole life, but I'm at my wit's end on how to bond with and stabilize this dog.
[notify]
Hanako

Barked: Tue Nov 25, '08 10:06pm PST 
I have a 6 month old Klee Kai with similar shyness issues. She's had a pampered life up and still she has the same trust issues. I can assure you these are breed traits. They usually bond only to one human and are very mistrustful of anything new. My little girl only comes up to me to petted when I am at her level and she won't take treats from anyone but me or my wife.

If you have problems convincing your AKK to sit for a treat with you in close proximity or touching, I suggest trying a clicker training. It can be more of a game to build trust, mine loves her click stick and loves to perform her tricks when I use it. Good luck
[notify]