GO!

Grrr! Everyone says "why is she so small?"

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Ginger- M.I.A.

my first and- finest

Barked: Sun Aug 16, '09 5:24pm PST 
I have to keep telling people over and over that racing huskies are not huge dogs. They keep saying, "On TV the sled dogs are great big fluffy dogs."
My standard line is "When you have 12 or 16 dogs, each one is pulling hardly anything. Speed and stamina matter more, and small dogs have more stamina."
and if I feel like it I can add "Big dogs are stronger and faster for short distances, but they overheat much quicker and have to rest."

I know I shouldn't lecture people for saying "Poor puppy! She looks like she can hardly pull herself, much less a sled."
Don't get me started on "Do you feed that critter?" (Real huskies aren't fat! She was bred to look like this!)
and "Do you shave her?" (No, she sheds her undercoat in summer. Racing huskies aren't super fluffy, and anyway you shouldn't shave double-coat dogs.)
and "That looks like a coyote! If I saw her in my pasture at dusk..." (No, she doesn't look like a coyote. When was the last time you actually saw one?)

Do any of you get this kind of stuff? Sometimes I'm amused or flattered (I love to talk about my dog to people) and sometimes I want to pull my hair out at people's ignorance.
[notify]
Fun On The- Run Kennel- Racing

'10 Junior- Iditarod, 6th- place!

Barked: Tue Aug 18, '09 9:12pm PST 
My answer to the dogs are big and fluffy on tv are that they are most likely purebred Siberian Huskies or Alaskan Malamutes, and Alaskan Huskies are mutts bred to race. Also, Walt Disney, Jack London, and Sargeant Preston give people bad ideas about what sled dogs are supposed to look like wink
[notify]
Ginger- M.I.A.

my first and- finest

Barked: Thu Aug 20, '09 3:47pm PST 
Ha-ha, yeah. Darn that Disney!
Actually, I just watched the PBS special "Dogs that Changed the World" and they showed an Inuit man and his team of big fluffy native dogs, but the voiceover was quoting speed and endurance stats that I'm sure come from racing huskies! More confusion...
[notify]