GO!

Two kinds of Husky?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Jul 26, '09 4:57pm PST 
Hi,
Could someone please tell me the difference between an Alaskan Husky and a Siberian Husky?
Thanks
[notify]
Mikoa

Learning to- trust again.

Barked: Wed Jul 29, '09 10:50pm PST 
A Siberian has a standard, a national breed club, is recognized by the AKC, is purebred, can be shown in conformation...

An Alaskan has no standard, no breed club, is not recognized, is a mix of all sorts of huskies and hounds, and cannot be shown in any conformation (though you can show them in performance events like agility).

Think of it this way in terms of body build and functionality... An Alaskan Husky is like a Thoroughbred, a Siberian Husky is like a Quarter Horse, and an Alaskan Malamute is like a Draft Horse... way to go
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Thu Jul 30, '09 12:04pm PST 
Thank you very much, that is easy to understand. I think my person's first Husky may have been an Alaskan Husky. She found Pukah in the desert in a wilderness area. Pukah lived to be over 18 and then passed in her sleep.

Pukah was similar to but different from me in subtle ways. Her tail didn’t curl and her coat was longer and fuller and her ears were tall and strong. She howled, but didn’t talk much and she loved to sneak outside of the fence and go for a run. She was a big girl, about 80 pounds and although she had a mask and white markings, she was a beige/yellow color so her markings where hard to see.

Edited by author Thu Jul 30, '09 12:06pm PST

[notify]

Ginger- M.I.A.

my first and- finest

Barked: Sun Aug 16, '09 5:12pm PST 
I dunno about the horse analogy... I think Alaskans are more like Arabians in their delicate build and incredible stamina for long distances. But anyway...
I tell people when they ask me what an Alaskan Husky is, "If it can win a sled race, it's an Alaskan Husky." laugh out loud They usually have shorter hair, more tuck-up (waist), longer legs, and are DEFINITELY faster than Siberians. Same coat colors, for the most part. Black-and-tan, red/blonde and piebald are more common in Alaskans, though. Ears may be up or down, doesn't matter. Most racing dogs are part German Shorthair Pointer or Greyhound. This is anecdotal, but I've noticed that Alaskan Huskies are shyer and more reserved than Siberian Huskies, who love everyone, even when raised in the same environment. Alaskan husky breeders are kinda like working border collie breeders, where performance matters WAAAAAY more than looks, and really resent people who try to standardize them by appearance.
Fritz, if Pukah was 80 lbs, maybe she was part Malamute or German Shepherd instead? Both Siberians and Alaskans tend to be lighter than that, more like 35-60 lbs.
I've seen dogs advertised on puppy mill sites as "Alaskan Husky" who are obviously Alaskan Malamutes instead. Or maybe people think if you cross a Siberian Husky and Alaskan Malamute you get an Alaskan Husky?... (NO.)
[notify]
☆ Lacy

If it is mine,- it must never be- yours.

Barked: Sun Oct 18, '09 9:40pm PST 
Fritz, its funny that you asked this, I was just going to ask myself. I really dont hear too much about the Alaskans. Anytime I mention them where I live people always have the same responce, "I never knew there was Alaskan Huskies."

So if they are mixes, is there a preferred mix that a sled team is looking for? or is it more performance based in the bloodline?
[notify]
Mikoa

Barked: Fri Oct 23, '09 12:05pm PST 
"or is it more performance based in the bloodline"

Bingo!
[notify]
☆ Lacy

Barked: Fri Oct 23, '09 7:53pm PST 
If an Alaskan Husky is a mix of different breeds based off of performance, then what is the determining factor that makes it an Alaskan Husky verses just a Husky mix or sled dog? I’ve done some research and can’t find any material that clarifies this question other than that they are bred in Alaska. If that’s the case, then there are a lot of so called Alaskan Huskies down here in the lower 48 that are in fact just mixed dogs instead of Alaskan Huskies unless you can specifically trace the dogs lineage. This opens the window to a lot of misrepresentation to true Alaskan Huskies in comparison to husky mixes.

I’m just really curious because I’m interested in understanding the northern breeds as much as I can, thanks.
[notify]
Mikoa

Barked: Sun Nov 1, '09 6:53am PST 
They are more a "type" of dog than anything else. They are not registered by any kennel club. There is no misrepresentation because there is no standard to go by.

Cabela's used to have a great description and story behind these dogs by Joe Runyan, but (I'm VERY happy to see) they have no taken down their "CabelasIditarod.com" and they merely have a couple pages on their website. If only they would phase out sponsorship completely.... But as every Iditarod musher is clad head to toe in Cabelas, I can only keep dreaming...

Anyway, here is a spot where I found some of Joe's article: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/sled-dogs-an-alaskan-epic/introduction/3146/

Edited by author Sun Nov 1, '09 6:54am PST

[notify]
☆ Lacy

Barked: Thu Nov 19, '09 6:02pm PST 
Cool, thanks for the article.
[notify]
Fun On The- Run Kennel- Racing

'10 Junior- Iditarod, 6th- place!

Barked: Sun Nov 29, '09 5:31pm PST 
Just wanted to say, not every musher wears Cabela's...I know of only 1 big name racer who wears Cabela's everybody else wears a mixture of everything that keeps them warm. Just sayin', don't discriminate because you can wink
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2