GO!

Alaskan Husky Deaths in Early Iditarods

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Mikoa

Learning to- trust again.

Barked: Sun Jul 26, '09 10:33am PST 
Though the Iditarod Trail Committee and mushers claim that no death statistics are available for the early years of the Iditarod race, I was able to search through old newspapers (through paid subscription by my college) and retrieve the following statistics. This raises the overall, lifetime death toll considerably, which the ITC would very much like to be kept secret:

In the 1974 Iditarod - At least 15 of 500 dogs died. This was out of 10-13 dog teams. Most deaths due to pneumonia-related illnesses, according to the five volunteer veterinarians.

...in 1985 alone, 12 dogs died of heart failure, exhaustion, or hypothermia...

Also in 1985 - Two dog deaths by moose, one by musher killing dog after it bit him.

1982 pre-race meeting: As many as 30 dogs died in the early years.

For citations, visit the Latest Updates section of my website and scroll down to Coverage of Older, Historically Archived Iditarods.
[notify]