GO!

Shyness & Weight issues

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Nakaia

Wherever my- mommy goes.....I- GO!!!

Barked: Sat Feb 28, '09 7:34pm PST 
Hello fellow husky lovers!!
My 1 year old alaskan husky seems very skinny. The vet says she is in perfect health, but she is only 35 lbs. Nakaia is very timid and scared of EVERYONE (until she gets to know them a little better, then she'll be your best friend). Nakaia also has extreme seperation anxiety. Do you think that she is stressed out? Anyone have any suggestions to help her overcome her shyness??? I try to socialize her as much as possible but i dont want to "force" her. puppy
[notify]
Ginger- M.I.A.

my first and- finest

Barked: Fri Mar 6, '09 5:11pm PST 
I think huskies from racing kennels tend to be very thin. It's not just because they run so much, it's genetic too. Ginger weighs about 35 lbs too, she's pretty small. If the vet says she's healthy otherwise, she's probably just thin.
I don't think that the shyness is a breed-specific thing. Some huskies are very outgoing, some very shy. Ginger is shy too. I try to take her everywhere I go and introduce her to new things with me present and reassuring her. She's much older than yours, but I just adopted her recently.
Your girl is only a puppy, you can probably still condition her. Talk to a dog behaviorist or read up a bit about separation anxiety.
Good luck, I'm sure with some work you will have a lovely and well-adjusted pet!
[notify]
Snowfoot sled dog team

Oldies but- goodies

Barked: Fri Mar 13, '09 5:40am PST 
I'm curious as to why you believe you have an Alaskan husky as opposed to a Siberian husky? You appear to be a Siberian, especially considering that you have blue eyes.
[notify]

Tilos

Tilos- great white- hunter

Barked: Thu Apr 2, '09 5:44pm PST 
Alaskan huskies can have any color eyes, any markings, up or down ears or somewhere in between. Look like a pointer, look like a wolf, even look like a greyhound. These dogs are bred to pull and to run fast, and any breed mix that does that is fine. There are no breed standards. Performance is the standard.
[notify]
Reese Havoc

Barked: Sun Apr 19, '09 6:42pm PST 
Havoc has weight issues also. Whenever I take him out people always act like I'm starving him! I'm so embarassed. His hip bones stick out and so does his spine. I think last he was at the vet he weighed 45lbs. He's very active but he doesn't want to eat. And I have tried everything. Maybe...just maybe he will find a food he likes then he doesn't want it anymore. And he is always throwing up his food undigested! If I'm lucky I might be able to get a 2 cups of food in him a day...but it is a real struggle. Any ideas?
[notify]
Tikko

I can outrun- practically- anything!

Barked: Tue Apr 21, '09 11:24am PST 
My AK husky Tikko is skinny too- he eats Eagle Pack Power formula- a high energy, high protein/fat ratio food and consumes double the recommended amount. I run him every day, so he gets (and needs) a lot of exercise. But in your case with the vomiting it sounds like your dog may have some esophogeal problem, or be allergic to an ingredient in your food, or have something else medical going on. You might want to ask the vet about this. Like others were saying, race AK huskies are naturally thin, but not emaciated. If your dog is active, happy and healthy, but just thin, don't worry about it. Marathoners and elite runners are also thin- and FAST!

Edited by author Tue Apr 21, '09 11:41am PST

[notify]