GO!

Training Run Ends In Tragedy

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Rover

Who want's a- hug?

Barked: Sat Oct 4, '08 9:52pm PST 
http://www.peninsulaclarion.com/stories/100208/new_291156865.shtml

That's a link to the news story about Jon Little and one of his teams being hit, 4 dogs died and one is seriously injured.

I got it from another post in the Sports and Agility forum I think the poster labled it "More needless sled dog deaths" or something.

Let's keep Jon and his dogs in our thoughts and prayers!
[notify]
Mikoa

Learning to- trust again.

Barked: Sun Oct 5, '08 5:22pm PST 
This could have easily been avoided had safer trails been chosen to run these dogs on. Our hearts go out to those innocent dogs who lost their lives.

hug
[notify]
Fun On The- Run Kennel- Racing

'10 Junior- Iditarod, 6th- place!

Barked: Mon Oct 6, '08 11:23am PST 
The thing is, there probably aren't any other trails...I know my team almost got hit by a car on a training run this morning...I was so scared, and there was nothing I could do about it...and it the only trail I can run on until freeze up in a few weeks.
[notify]

Fuzzy- Huskies Dog- Team

'09 Jr. Yukon- Quest- Red Lantern!

Barked: Fri Oct 10, '08 12:12pm PST 
Let's also not forget that the speed limit is 45 at that corner...

The driver was going 60.

Sometimes there aren't any other trails. The only trail available to me during the week requires me to cross a highway also. If I could find a safer trail, I would use it. Since I don't, I take as many precautions as I can.

But, as they say, stuff happens. This could easily happen to a musher or to someone jogging with their dog on a sidewalk.

Edited by author Fri Oct 10, '08 12:15pm PST

[notify]
Khuno

Chain free is- the way to be!

Barked: Fri Oct 10, '08 11:29pm PST 
What ever happened to trucking dogs to train? I can run off my own property and get quite a bit of mileage in (and none of it on roads). However, I can also drive fifteen minutes to state land and get even more miles done. Somewhere like Alaska, especially from what I've heard in relation to this particular case... I just can't believe that other, more safer trails were not available.
[notify]
Raven

A Tired Dog is a- Happy Dog.

Barked: Sat Oct 11, '08 9:55am PST 
Last year a woman and her two German Shepherds were struck by a truck, the woman died and I think both dogs had to be put down, he just now got sentenced to 4 years and some fines....Crazy!!!
[notify]
Fun On The- Run Kennel- Racing

'10 Junior- Iditarod, 6th- place!

Barked: Sat Oct 11, '08 10:06pm PST 
Khuno-The thing is, my mother will not truck me and all my dogs the 45+ miles to go to Chugiak or Big Lake to run their trails. We moved to Knik so we could run the trails right from our house, not having to truck so far. But this time of year, all the clubs trails are closed except for Chugiak's 2 mile trail which is not worth it. I need to be running 10 mile runs, not 2, so I run a little bit on less used roads. I would love to run on just trails, but it is not possible in fall training.

He was going 60 there!?! That is not very safe in that area at all.
[notify]
Fuzzy- Huskies Dog- Team

'09 Jr. Yukon- Quest- Red Lantern!

Barked: Sun Oct 12, '08 3:20pm PST 
In Kink, it seems like most of the trails go over swamp, rivers, lakes, etc. Those won't be usable for a long time.

Again, you'd have to go up north pretty far to get to safe trails. Mushers also have jobs to work around, so you sometimes have a small time frame to get the miles in. I don't get home until around 3:30, so I can only fit in a 25-30 mile run. If I drive to trails, I could probably do a 10 mile run only just because of time constraints.

Just to clear up what a highway trail is... They're not on the road- they are normally about 10-15 feet off the pavement and gravel parts of the road. Normally following power lines (we call ours the Power line Trail), but not always. It's pretty much a multi-use trail for everyone that doesn't drive.

Edited by author Sun Oct 12, '08 3:24pm PST

[notify]