GO!

Alaskan Husky abuse and neglect in 2008 Iditarod.

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  
Windy CD CGC TDI

Ethics Matter!

Barked: Wed Apr 2, '08 8:02am PST 
Kazzie - Sorry to break it to you, but you tend to meet a lot of people after ten years of heavy involvement in any sport. You can not believe it all you like, but it doesn't change the facts. It's sad that so many people get so up in arms when all I'm trying to do is bring to light the abuse and neglect that a group of dogs faces day in and day out. Maybe if some of you had lived at large-scale racing kennels and seen how they operate, you would have different opinions.
[notify]
Fun On The- Run Kennel- Racing

'10 Junior- Iditarod, 6th- place!

Barked: Wed Apr 2, '08 9:03am PST 
I have a fairly large scale kennel for a Junior and I have been to Seaveys kennel and Martin Busers kennel. I really like Busers kennel because the dogs are all proportioned in the yard compared to age so the puppies are in a pen together so they can play and the racing team is in the yard on chains together etc. I am also friends with a woman who has almost 60 dogs for her sons 3/5 dog team...would that be large scale?! I have also been to the kennel of Melissa Owens in Nome and her dogs were really sweet and happy where they were.
[notify]
Tank

Born to Run

Barked: Sun Nov 9, '08 3:36pm PST 
I think certain dog sledding is abuse (like the iditarod) and some is not. Alot of dogs have died in this iditarod. One dog had ice cicles hanging from his chin (on the comercials for the new one)! It's sad. But not all dogs sledding is abuse.
[notify]

Fun On The- Run Kennel- Racing

'10 Junior- Iditarod, 6th- place!

Barked: Sun Nov 9, '08 5:39pm PST 
Dogs having icycles hanging from their chin is not cruelty...I mean, pet dogs have them too! Just walking around up here turns every dogs chin to ice in the winter wink
[notify]
Fuzzy- Huskies Dog- Team

'09 Jr. Yukon- Quest- Red Lantern!

Barked: Mon Nov 17, '08 8:51pm PST 
You should see Jacques when he comes inside from playing. laugh out loud

The poor dude has snowballs all over his legs, and his head is completely covered in snow. He gets the ice beard/mustache thing going pretty well too.

...and he's only outside for maybe 20 minutes at a time! Good thing he's not a sled dog. laugh out loud
[notify]
SHAY - -

I'M THE BOSS

Barked: Fri Apr 3, '09 5:13pm PST 
I AGREE WITH FUN ON THE RUN KENNEL RACING AND FUSSY HUSKIES DOG TEAM. I AM A BORDER COLLIE AND A WORKING DOG AND THESE THINGS HAPPEN. KEEP ON MUSHING. I ADMIRE WHAT YOU GUYS DO.
[notify]
Bleu

snazzy-bleu

Barked: Fri Apr 17, '09 4:42pm PST 
This is nothing like the race to Nome!!!The medicine was taken once by a train,then by sled.
[notify]
Khuno

Chain free is- the way to be!

Barked: Mon Apr 20, '09 9:39am PST 
Six dogs died this year. This sport needs a major overhaul. Too much abuse and neglect is considered acceptable in the name of "sport" and "working dogs."

Break The Chains - Save The Sled Dogs

And also, I'll be posting some rather huge updates on that site in the next few days! Stay tuned.

ETA: Link

Edited by author Mon Apr 20, '09 9:40am PST

[notify]
Delilah- Happy Girl

Queen of All- Creature- Comforts

Barked: Sun Apr 26, '09 6:28pm PST 
Oh, that is just so sad. I never knew the "other" side to that race. I've just found this thread, and it is quite informative.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2