GO!

Akita "aggression" (sweet akita harassed by jerk dogs)

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Koga

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 9:52am PST 
My boy is about 9 months old now and one of his absolute favorite things to do is go to the dog park. He LOVES other dogs, despite what people say about the breed.

If there is anything about *my* dog that can be said to be "bad" about his behavior with other dogs it's that he's a trouble maker. He loves to run into a pack of running dogs, get them all chasing him and lead them all to run away from the stupid humans. He's like the kid who encourages other kids to cut class... which is bad but not the same as getting in fights.

However, lately here is what I have picked up on--
other people's dogs are NASTY. Often little dogs with bad manners, Koga will go to sniff their butts and they will turn, snarl and snap at him.

Koga isgreat about this. He just stops and waits to see what happens or at his worst he will run off and keep coming back to see if the dog will behave better (and yes, he is slightly teasing the dog), he has never retaliated with violence on another dog or even given a hint of retaliating.

But I know if one of these dogs crossed the line, bit him harder than he was okay with, he would go after that dog and not stop until it was dead (and maybe not even then).

The thing is-- I'm having a hard time seeing this as a problem with HIM, as much as it's a problem with these other dog owners. These dogs that act hostile and aggressive towards him are basically BEGGING for him to act as badly as them. It bothers me because people act like I should leash my dog and take him away... yet theirs are the dogs initiating hostility. Shouldn't **they** leash their dogs and take them away? My dog wants to run and play and if these dogs don't want to run and play maybe they should leave.

I understand that there is breed prejudice and that it won't matter who started it if my dog kills another dog. But would I be out line to ask these people to leash *their* dogs instead? Why should my boy not get to run like he needs to just because THEIR dogs are violent antisocial little bastards?

Anybody have any thoughts on this? If I was a little less upset right now I would have taken the time to use the search function, so sorry if this has been asked before.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 4:53pm PST 
I understand exactly how you feel but knowing what you do about how people react and the consequences of something going wrong for Koga, in all honesty leashing Koga and taking him home as unfair as it is might be the best option. You can certainly ask the other dog owners to leash or control their dogs but I wouldn't expect them to do that common courtesy seems to be lacking in most people these days. I do understand and you have my sympathies on the situation and I wish I had some other solution to your problem. You can also simply try to take Koga to the dog park at times when the problem dogs are less likely to be there. I am not saying this will be the case with Koga but it is quite typical for Akitas to get along well with other dogs in their first year or two then begin to become agressive with other dogs of the same sex more so than the opposite sex or other dogs in general even if socialization and training as well as their general temperament are good agression toward other dogs is not present at birth it develops as they mature and "come into their own" so to speak. Females in my experience also seem more likely to develop this issue. Good Luck and you have my sympathy and support.
[notify]
Koga

Barked: Thu Sep 19, '13 7:54am PST 
Next time we go to the dog park, if somebody is there and THEIR dog is aggressive towards MY dog, I'm simply going to say-- with no apologies-- "your dog is being aggressive towards mine. That might not be good for your dog... do you want to leash him/her?" It should be on them to make sure they are not the one with an aggressive dog, especially when I am trying to get my dog socialized and give him proper exercise.

Additionally I may have to say "Oh, your dog is small- maybe he'd be happier in the area specifically designated for dogs under 25 lbs?"
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Sep 21, '13 6:07am PST 
It sounds like a good plan to me. If they are dogs that are small and your dog park has a section specifically for small dogs,they certainly should be there,not on the big dog side,it isn't just the risk of attack,smaller dogs can be injured just by the typical play of larger dogs. Mika and Kai actually love little dogs,my daughter has a maltese who likes to act tough and when he gets yappy with them they will simply remind him of his true size by licking his whole face with one pass of their tongue. My sister has a puggle and a beagle and they play very nicely at her little "dog park" in her back yard,she has about an acre and a half that is uncleared,fenced and they can sniff,run,jump, and play to their hearts content,the only drawback is it's an hours ride away but we go as often as we can and they love it. If the local dog park is your only option it is there for public use, so you certainly have the right to use it and enjoy it as much as other people do and all of the dogs there should be expected to behave or taken elsewhere, as I said the problem is a lot of owners just don't have the respect,courtesy,or common sense to be cooperative and with the way people tend to feel about Akitas,fair or not should something happen Koga will most likely get the blame. When we first moved here and got Mika,she was attacked several times while tethered in our yard by a neighbors dog with a bite history,the first time it happened I went to the owner of the other dog,he told me that his dog never attacked other dogs and being an akita it was obvious that Mika was the aggressor,so as I said I understand your frustration and you have my sympathy,good luck.
[notify]
Mac

70 lbs is not to- big to be a lap- dog

Barked: Sun Oct 13, '13 6:09pm PST 
I feel your pain. My big guy loves playing at the dog park and he loves little fuzzy dogs (really funny to watch) but the last time we took him one of the little dogs attacked him!! The little dog (about 10 lbs) bit him 3 times before my dog corrected him with a growl and bark. The other owner never corrected his dog and acted as if my dog should be put down.
[notify]
Kodiak

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 11:18am PST 
My Akita used to go to the dog park everyday. We had his dog friends that he played with regulary. He does not like any dog trying to show dominance over him though. Usually his warning growl stops them and we go on our way. I watch him always not so much for him but for other dogs. One time a boxer wouldn't leave him alone. He kept warning growls and trying to walk away. I should have taken my dog away then but the boxer started a fight. I called my dog off and he came to me bleeding. Boxer's owner said "there's blood on my dog" I asked if his dog was ok and after checking him he said yes. So I told him it's my dog's blood on your dog. Guy didn't say anything. I just left because people will always look at the Akita for starting something. The time before that he was chasing some smaller dogs (as dogs do at the dog park) and this lady almost hit him with her cane! I was like "really???" So I just stopped taking him to the dog park. He has lots of dog friends that we meet and play with but it's just not worth the grief that can come from people who always blame the Akita.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Oct 23, '13 5:00am PST 
Kodiak,
wavewavewave Nice to see you here again. I think most of us Akita owners come to the same conclusion over time, the attitude and the possible grief you would have should something happen to go wrong just isn't worth the risk. As good as our dogs may be and as hard as we might work at it to make sure they are wonderful and well behaved, say you own an Akita and you might as well say you run a dog fighting ring to a lot of people out there, no one ever blames bad ownership or sees good responsible ownership of them, they simply blame the breed and what they have heard about them. Unfortunately it seems that even some Akita rescues promote the feelings that Akitas are bad by the way they profile them.
[notify]
Denali

The great one

Barked: Sun Nov 17, '13 12:22pm PST 
I am new to having an Akita, but already understand what you're saying and feel your pain! At 6 months, Denali hasn't shown an ounce of aggression toward anyone or any dog, and reads social cues pretty well. He does tend to tease smaller dogs like your dog does! However at the first sign of "back off" from another dog, Denali is out of there. Who knows how long this will last, but I know at the moment, he's excellent around dogs.

However, because he's already 60+ pounds and bigger than most full-grown dogs, people will assume he's inherently aggressive and plans to eat the little dog he's calmly sniffing. or is coming up to them with the intention to sink his teeth into their legs. Denali has been full-on attacked by several dogs before, unprovoked as far as I could tell(just sniffing their behind, or even just walking by), ranging from a great dane to a tiny Scottie. All he does is roll over and take it, has never fought back.

Luckily, I do meet a lot of well-educated people at our dog park, and they know when their dog is the problem, or that my dog is not being aggressive(he tends to "talk" when he's playing and it can sound scary). If Denali is getting a group of people on edge, I bring him with me to another part of the dog park to play. After hiking and seeing people visibly pale at the sight of him trotting down the trail, I know I'm going to experience a lot more of this as he grows up. It's come with the breed I guess.

If you have someone who will listen to you, I would absolutely tell them. Some people have that "my kid is perfect" syndrome and won't listen, at which point there isn't much you can do, and it isn't fair. People just need to be more educated in reading dogs' body language and that would solve a lot- that and training.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jan 7, '14 2:34am PST 
I adopted and 8th month old female Akita I call Zelda, 4 month's ago and she had not been socialized being confined to a one car garage. She was never walked, introduced to the World, or enter a home until I adopted her. I never saw an Akita before and knew nothing about the breed but I have been a quick study. Zelda was hyper beyond comprehension and it was a good 2 days before I could begin to think about leash training. She loves people and children but has shown nothing but aggression toward every other living thing. She jumps up at a fish in my aquarium shaking the tank. Barks at my 2 parakeets several times a day. I have taken her to a dog park and let her be with other dogs with a fence between them but she doesn't seem to begin to entertain the idea of getting along. I live on a lake and when she is staked out she can go 30 feet into the lake and she is constantly in the water chasing ducks if they get closer than Zelda would like. I've had several Lab's and none liked the water as much as Zelda. When I first began socializing Zelda and she would be in her aggression/barking mode, I would calmly talk to her trying to get her to sit and when I would attempt to pet her, she would snap at my hand and sometimes pinching me good. I chose to ignore this behavior not knowing how to address a dog behaving like this toward another animal and she stopped snapping at me after several week's. She is a mouthy kind of dog always taking my hand into her mouth to gently chew on and I have to tell her when to back off when she get too excited. I take her everywhere I go and she is with me around the clock. I am on my third month in socializing Zelda and she is 1 year old. I have only seen improvement where I can get Zelda to stop barking and sit and look at the other animal but when we go to move she goes into her aggressive behavior until we are out of the situation. Another dog in a pet store is a nightmare and we exit immediately. I would like to see other Akita's and see their behavior because I've never encountered a dog with this uniqueness before. She stalks birds in the yard like a cat and crouches low when playing ball with me as if she is going to pounce. I've never seen loyalty like she displays and I'd love to have another Akita for her to play with but that isn't going to happen. I truly believe Zelda is living up to what her breed was bred to do. She is textbook Akita and I missed socializing her by not being her owner when she was just 7 week's old. I hope her aggression is never directed toward people. I wouldn't take her out in public if she reacted to people like she does all other living things. I'm wondering if anyone has an Akita that has the same disposition as Zelda.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Jan 10, '14 7:03am PST 
You have only had her 4 months. Given that she was never socialized at all and had never seen most of the things she is now exposed to she is making wonderful progress. You have done an amazing job and as long as you continue to work with her and socialize her she will get better in time. Thank-you from rescuing her from that hell of loneliness and giving her a chance at a decent life. While she may never be completely trustworthy or nonreactive to other animals she has come a long way and together you have accomplished miracles in overcoming her fears. Good Luck to both of you and may you enjoy a long happy life together.hughughughug
[notify]