GO!

toilet training my akita pup

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Mon Sep 16, '13 4:49am PST 
hiya i got my akita pup at 11 weeks old she is now 14 weeks, my problem is i take her outside to do her business and we could be out for a few hours at a time but she will wait until shes back inside then go to the toilet! any advice?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Sep 16, '13 6:31am PST 
It sounds like she is a bit confused. Do you always take her out on a leash? or just allow her to play in a fenced area? Taking her out on a leash on a regular schedule like every hour,walking her around and when she "goes" outside give her a treat and celebrate. Also look for cue's that she needs to go like sniffing around,circling, going near the door or a certain spot where she seems to like to relieve herself and take her outside before she actually does. Keeping her tethered to you in doors may also help make you more aware of her specific cues. She will always need to be taken out as soon as she wakes up,after meals,and after play even if they are not on the schedule you have set. Using tethering and restriction to only limited areas of the house when I couldn't tether I was able to potty train all of the Akitas I have owned to alert me when they needed to go outside in a matter of two weeks or less. Good Luck and I hope this helps.
[notify]