GO!

Picking up my Akita puppy this weekend!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 11:57am PST 
Hello all. This is my first post on this site. We are super excited to be adding to our furry family with an akita puppy. We have not yet chosen a name. We go back and forth with ideas for a Japanese name and then a regular old off the wall name. I tend to like people sounding names for my pets.

We currently have 3 children as well as a yellow lab (Sam) and 2 cats. After throughly researching the breed, my husband and I decided to add an Akita to our family. I am a dominant personality with the pets and am a strong pack leader and I feel ready to tackle the challenge of the willful, but loving Akita! I am definitely going into this with my eyes wide open and willing to put in the work. I am excitedly soaking up all the knowledge that I can from current owners as well. Tips/tricks for new babies are certainly welcome.

My first question is this. I know that socialization is very very important and should begin immediately with an Akita. Our little guy is about 10 weeks old. How soon after coming home should we take him out and about? 1 - 2 days? A few hours....? I want him to be secure and trusting with us as his family, but I also want him to have as many new experiences as possible while he is still young. If I bring him home on a Sunday, is Sunday evening too soon....maybe Wednesday?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Mar 22, '13 8:06am PST 
Socialization is VERY important. I'm thrilled that you did the research and are going into this with eye's wide open!!!way to go The dominance thing with Akita's however is a bit old and outdated,yes,you must be firm and expect them to listen and behave but a much better relationship is built not on fear but on mutual trust and respect. As for socializing them,as you know from your research,Akita's are stranger wary,and even though you may have met your puppy several times at the breeders and even played with him,you are in fact to a degree still strangers and will be taking him from his mother,siblings,and all he knows and is familiar with,it will take him several days to fully settle in and start to become comfortable with his new surroundings and his place in them,some puppies do this more quickly than others but the earliest I would recommend taking him out and about if you bring him home on Sunday would be Wednesday,otherwise the following Sunday will be fine,he won't miss that much socialization and the bonding time he has will be just as important. Mika and Kai are my second and third Akita's,I got all as puppies,each with very different personalities,and even after 17 years with the breed am still learning from them each and everyday how to be a better Akita parent. Good Luck with your pup and the name isn't a big issue,just a tradition. Once you start a profile for your puppy feel free to p-mail me anytime with questions and I will be happy to try to help. Also,take some time to read some of the older threads here from people asking about the breed,don't post to them,if you have a question,make a new thread as you did this one,but they may give you some of the information and answers you are looking for. Again,wishes andwelcome we are always happy to hear from new Akita people.
[notify]