GO!

is my akita underweight?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 11:52am PST 
he is 5 months old now and weighs only 30 pounds which is really starting to worry me.. my vet didnt help much as she isnt familiar with the akita breed... eveywere i read people state their akita was 50-60 pounds at 5 months so yeah mine seems quite underweight :/
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 2:57pm PST 
It is typical for an Akita puppy to gain about 10 pounds per month on average.However,some will gain more or less depending on what their full adult size will be,30 pounds however is a low weight for even what will be a small Akita at 5 months,she really should be between 6-10 pounds heavier,I know that doesn't sound like alot but on a young and rapidly growing puppy it is. Can I ask what you are feeding her? how much? and how often? Even on the smaller side for a grown Akita(Adult weight70-75lbs)female,using a good quality grain free food,she should be getting between 1-1/2 and 2 cups twice daily.(I used the guideline on blue buffalo wilderness) Akitas tend to eat a little less than other breeds their size as well once grown but not as puppies. How does her coat look? Feel? Is it soft and shiny?What is her skin like?Healthy? or dry and flaky?oily and smelly? Where does she live?indoors or out? Can you see ribs or spine? other bones? are the spaces between them easily felt when you touch her? or do you feel a small layer ofmeat there?
Is she energetic and active? Behaving like a healthy,happy,active,curious puppy,or is she laying around not using much energy at all? Has she been checked for parasites? I know these are alot of questions but they can all influence how much your pup should be eating,wether or not they are getting the right nutrition from what they are eating,and why she may not be gaining the appropriate ammount of weight. One more question,how large were her parents? If they were both on the smaller side of the typical for Akitas,she may grow to be smaller than average as well which could also change things a bit. If you will try to help me,I will be happy to try to help you with your questions as well.wishes
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 6:05am PST 
Please note that is 6-10 pounds heavier at least and even that would be at the very bottom of the weight scale. I would really like to hear from you so that we can possibly work toward getting her to a more healthy weight. Please at least post to let me know you have checked-in and seen my reply to your post. Thanks.
[notify]