GO!

Question About Size/Weight

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Koda

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 8:04pm PST 
Please chime in if you can! Koda is about 10 days shy of 6 months. At that point he will weight about 64 lbs. I do however feel as if he is a little thin. Do they go through those "teenage years" where their body/legs are long and they are really lean? Is 64lbs too small? He eats between 6-7 cups of food a day (fed 3x a day, clearly not all at once) which is more than his weight/energy tequirements suggest. Is he just growing fast while his body is having to catch up? Side note: all shots/deworming/tests are UTD. I think he feels thin, but the vet keeps telling me what a big boy he is and how he's going to be huge full grown. Your thoughts? Did your Akitad go through this growth spurt stage?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 4:04pm PST 
Koda sounds fine to me at 6 months a weight of between 60 and 70 pounds would be perfectly normal for what will be a large male when done growing. He is right on target. They all look a little thin and lankier as puppies than they will as fully grown,fully filled out adults which can happen as late as age 3. At this point you really don't want him overly heavy anyway,it can cause too much strain on growing joints. If his skin and coat are looking good,the vet is happy with his health and he is an alert and active puppy then there is nothing to be concerned about. I know the ones on t.v. look bigger and heavier but they are freshly bathed,blow dried,and sprayed with multiple products to make their coats stand up and make them appear a bit more stocky than most actually are. I hope that reassures you at least a bit.
[notify]
Koda

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 5:20pm PST 
Yes! Thank you! He has actually had some stomach problems the last week and dropped some weight. We took him to the vet...food issues. He's on a bland diet for a few days, so I expect his weight to be put back on quickly considering the amounts he eats. He had a beautiful, shiny coat, is active, and happy. The vet complimented him saying that he is an excellent dog...though he did not like the tech, whom he'd never met, being so close to our daughter. He went, and in true Akita fashion, laid right in front of her, alert. He is a good, friendly, healthy, happy, boy. We just have to get him on the right food!
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 5:31am PST 
I don't know what you are feeding but currently having my second and third Akitas I have found they tend to do best on a food that is corn and wheat free and SOY FREE is a must,it can contribute to the risk of bloat and many Akitas are allergic to it as well. Corn and wheat are also well known allergens for many dogs,not just Akitas. So any good quality food you can find that Koda likes,does well on,fits your budget,and does not have any of those ingredients,should be fine. As far as the SOY,please skip even the soybean oil. During my 17 years of research into the breed,talking to 100's of owners,many professional breeders and show homes that was one of the things that was stressed to me by every one of them from the beginning. I personally prefer to go with grain-free but it isn't an absolute must unless you find that Koda has an issue with grains. He is a beautiful boy.wishes Pal request on it's way.
[notify]
Koda

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 7:57pm PST 
Thanks! All is well now with Koda. He's eating normally again and has regained much of the weight he lost last week. I think he'll be back over 60 by his 6 month mark. He just looks better, though not at his ideal weight yet. I'm going to check on the foods, especially when he switches to adult food. With every passing month I'm curious as to what his adult weight will be. He is about 23 inches at the top of his shoulder, so I'm guessing as a full grown male he will be between 26-28. Weight...I just don't know. I was thinking 120. We will see. I enjoy watching him grow!!
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 11:39am PST 
I can't say with any absolute certainty but Kai at 6 months was 24 inches at the highest part of the shoulder,just below the neck where it levels out and just over 60 pounds,At age 3 which is his final adult size,he is 28 inches at the shoulder and just around 120 pounds. We stopped weighing him when he was just over 105 and would no longer cooperate with being picked up and he refused to get on the scale at the vet. We know he has since gained weight because he went from a 26 in collar to a 28 in. which we only use for tags. It certainly sounds like Koda is well on pace to do the same and don't worry about his being ill for a few days it really won't set him back. I would love to see some pictures of him now,if you would be willing to add one or two to his profile. I can only imagine how beautiful he must be getting. Has he stolen your heart and soul yet? The first always seems to,then you just can't imagine life without an akita in it. My hubby wasn't a dog person in the way I was until we had our Mattie who was half Akita/half GSD,she was my girl but by the time we lost her 6 years ago my hubby adored her and cried like a baby,when we got Mika,she was supposed to be mine as well but he spoiled her rotten and can't imagine life without her or Kai,we watched the movie "Hachi" and he cried through the entire movie and refuses to ever watch it again,simply because he says that raised right,they really are that loyal and only deserve the best. Good Luck with Koda and if you need anything or have any concerns please feel free to p-mail me.wishes
[notify]
Koda

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 6:49pm PST 
Going by those measures, he's definitely 24-24 1/2. I measured low. I'm glad he seems on pace with other males, and it's good to know an upset stomach won't set him back. I will certainly post some additional pics when I get my computer back. He is a beautiful boy and yes, he had stolen my heart. I can't really picture having another breed of large dog ever again. I'm hooked on his personality, not being "needy" (if that is the right word) as some other breeds I've encountered, and I live his devotion to us. Thanks for all the info and encouraging words. If I have any questions I will certainly contact you!
[notify]