GO!

Lead Training

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 9:08am PST 
Hi, I have an 18 mth old Akita who is one of the lovliest dogs you could ever meet, very friendly with anyone who comes to our home but it is when we are out and about that hes awful!! Constant pulling on the lead and has managed to break 2 collars through this. This morning he managed to break another collar and got away from us and attacked another dog!! I have got a haiti collar which goes around his nose and neck but he keeps trying to get out of this as well. Is it just perseverance or does anyone have any training tips for me. Thank you in advance Elaine
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 5:58pm PST 
The adolescent male Akita is a very curious willful creature. There are several good no pull harnesses you might want to consider,as well as working on his leash manners while you are in your yard at home. I started both of mine with a halti at 4 months and can now walk both of them who's combined weight is at least 60 pounds more than mine with no problem. Rather than just here on the Akita thread,you can post in the regular "Behavior and Training" thread. There are several excellent people that can recommend specific types of no-pull harnesses to you. I wish I could help more but mine never had an issue with pulling,I simply just don't think they learned it. I started from the day we got them,with tethering their leash to my belt loop,to supervise them and help with potty training,so they simply never had the choice to not be at my side,and therefore never learned the habit.wishes and I know you will find help there. Pam
[notify]

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 10:17am PST 
Thank you for that I will post in there as well. We got ours from a rehoming center so he already had the bad habit of pulling!! I am sure we will get there eventually though.

Thanks again Elaine
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 11:46pm PST 
Thank-you for giving him a second chance. Given his age it is very likely the difficulty of adolescence without proper early training is why he was given up,he most likely started out with someone who got him from a pet store or other place that was not very careful about placing puppies,and clueless about the breed. Know that once he bonds with you and you work through the next 18 months,it will at times be difficult,frustrating,and at times his willful behaviors will just about make you insane,but when he comes out the other side of his difficult period,you and he will both be all the better for it and you will know that you have really done well because he will be loyal, loving,and very well behaved. Kai is my third Akita but the first male I have ever raised of any breed and he is just coming out of the difficult period you and your boy are entering. He is gentle,loving,sweet,absolutely loyal,would never let any harm come to us,and an amazing and wonderful part of our family we could not imagine life without. hugwishesand THANK-YOU again for giving him another chance. Pam
[notify]

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 1:05am PST 
Thank you Pam, he is already all of those thing just a pain on the lead!! We will never give up on him though as he is a part of our family and my youngest son who is just about to turn 9 adores him and they are always together when we are at home. We will get there eventually. Thanks for your kind words. Elaine x
[notify]

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 1:05am PST 
Thank you Pam, he is already all of those thing just a pain on the lead!! We will never give up on him though as he is a part of our family and my youngest son who is just about to turn 9 adores him and they are always together when we are at home. We will get there eventually. Thanks for your kind words. Elaine x
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 12:05pm PST 
Elaine,
I almost feel sorry for sending you to the B&T forum. Please ignore most of the advice you got. Asher,Moulder,Squ'mey,Lobo and JT know of what they speak and thankfully were able to give you some good advice on products you might want to try. Asher is both a trainer and behaviorist and has helped many here raise happy,healthy,well trained dogs. I'm sure your boy is everything I said he would become. I don't know how exactly to explain it but they are truly an amazing breed and for all you put in,you get it back 100 fold. After having raised three,even just having my first,I can't imagine really having another breed around,Akitas just fit here perfectly. Thank-you again for giving one a second chance.wishes Welcome to and enjoy the wonderful world of Akitas. By the way,owning one can be addictive.
[notify]
Leah

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 2:04pm PST 
I have a young female and I wont take her out w/out a collar and harness on. I put a short handle on the collar and run the leash through it ( so it can hang but stays accessable) I bought a Kong Harness. She does not pull however, too much dog for that. Good luck.
[notify]