GO!

The 'Soft' Akita..

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 27)  
1  2  3  
Kodiak CGC

WOOoooOOoo

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 7:21am PST 
If you people hadn't immediately jumped me and assumed the worst, I could have told you that. Instead, you flew off the handle wildly accusing and assuming. If I'd been an average dog owner, your rudeness would have surely driven me away and if he did have an issue, you can bet it would have gone unaddressed.

I feel for the next oblivious newbie that posts here hoping for a sympathetic or like-minded ear only to get ripped into. Next time, try to NOT chase the person off. Give them the benefit of doubt and don't immediately assume that they are awful, their dog is suffering, and you know best. (Especially when one of you has a dog FAR more skittish than mine. Who are you to point fingers or judge. confused )

Who even knows if he pooped indoors those two times out of fear. Maybe he just had to go and didn't get a chance before-hand on two occasions.
I guess it's just more reasonable to assume he was backpedaling, cowering, yipping, being dragged on the floor while he defecated himself, huh?
[notify]
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Sat Nov 3, '12 12:36am PST 
Excuse you? No one flew off the handle. All of us handled things calmly, except for you, who immediately became defensive.

You failed to give proper details; how else are we supposed to explain a dog who YOU said acted strange in new situations and who defecated while being vet checked? For *any* person who spends their life studying dog psychology and behavior, these are fear signs. Both M&K and I were very understanding in our responses, very calm, and very polite. Neither of us became anything other than that until *you* became defensive and insulted our dogs.

And again, you insult me and my abilities with Poppy.

What do you know of Poppy? I have *never* told you anything about him. Poppy has come STRIDES compared to the way he was when I first came here. He no longer barks at people on the street, even if they're right in front of us. Why? Because I worked my arse off to make sure my fearful/reactive dog no longer feared these things. So how DARE you come here and insult me. In NONE of my posts did I judge you for owning a fearful dog. I felt for you because I understand the troubles and hardships that come with owning a fearful dog. It's hell. It's difficult. And it's stressful.

I only became rude when *you* became rude, and I only responded with any kind of "judging" when you completely showed denial about your dog.

Instead of immediately becoming defensive, you probably should have said, "Oh, that's not exactly how it happened. Here's what happened..." But instead, you jumped down *our* throats because we didn't have the information that was clearly important in decided if the defecating was fearful, or was simply because perhaps the puppy hadn't gone that day.

Before you insult me or Pam again, take a look over the thread and see who was the rude one.
[notify]
Kodiak CGC

WOOoooOOoo

Barked: Sat Nov 3, '12 4:16am PST 
http://www.dogster.com/about/community_guidelines.php

You should read that, and you should step back and read the thread again from the pov of someone new to your clique.
I'm done with this thread, I'm done trying to find peace with you two.
You are obviously not interested in being friendly and I'm not going to give you anything else to work with. (PS, way to jump to conclusions again assuming I was talking about your dog.)
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 7:37am PST 
Kodiak,
I am only responding because I did do as you asked,I will in turn ask you to look agian at your original post. Is there a chance perhaps that you could have worded it differently? Included more information that might have changed our responses? If you had perhaps worded your post differnently and included some of the information that is only now coming to light and stated that you were looking to be friendly not like you were seeking advice,I can tell you that my response would have been quite different.
Yes,if you were referring to Mika,she was fearful,through continued work and Kai's boldness she has gotten much better.Thank-you for your concern. I also appreciate that you did to some degree give weight to our advice and consult some professionals,that was really all I was asking of you.I also did mention in my original post that what seemed like fear,may be a non-issue,my approach in the beginning was simply better safe than taking a risk. No where did I suggest that you were a bad owner,that there was something terribly wrong with your dog,or that he was absolutely from a bad breeder,your response was to wait several months and come back insulting my dogs. Please do me the same courtesy that I did for you and look at how you could potentially responded differently and how it might have made a difference. If you are interested,Mika's fleeing in terror was simply to bark,then retreat to a,what she felt was a slightly safer location,the stairs next to the front door. She with continued reassurance and the help of Kai no longer does so,they do both however display the typical aloof to strangers behavior typical of the breed with the gas meter readers since our gas company seems to change them monthly. When we for several months got the same one,they were both fine and welcoming,allowed him to pet them,and didn't even bother to bark,except when he knocked on the door. Again,if in fact it was Mika you were concerned about she is doing much better. Have a good day,and thank-you for also trying to be helpful to our new guest with the young puppy,your knowledge and experience can certainly be helpful to others who need it.
[notify]
Kodiak CGC

WOOoooOOoo

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 10:03am PST 
M&K- This thread is just ugly and defensive on all sides, imo.
I'm sure we all could have worded things better and handled things differently. Let's take that as a learning experience and not repeat it in other posts, yeah? (:
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 6:49am PST 
I have no problem with that,it would have gone alot better had wording been a bit more careful on all sides,but I think when being the OP and this is from several years on Dogster,how your post is phrased can make a world of difference in the responses you are likely to get. I also feel that,if in anyway you are unclear,it is best to correct before becoming defensive. I have had people who made me feel defensive at times as well but I always try to clarify before being defensive because I understand that generally others are trying to help and if you read responses with that understanding first,that others are simply concerned about you pet,it is taken alot less personally and you can fix what went wrong. If you come out swinging,and insulting,it tends to bring out the worst in others. I am not saying that you are solely to blame for how ugly this thread got,we all share blame in that,but correcting wrong impressions before becoming hostile,makes a huge difference. There by the way is no clique here,some of us simply know each other a bit better because we tend to be the most active posters here.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 6:57pm PST 
I know this is old but I just found this thread....I wanted to add that the OP mentioned about the other dogs starting scuffs with him at the dog park. The fact that he was intact was probably why. Before we got our akita fixed, he was having other dogs dislike him....I'm told that a combination of certain "young dog" body language (that they don't mean to be bad, but other dogs perceive as bad) and fresh manly hormones can make other dogs perceive them as aggressors when they are not. Which can cause other dogs to start picking fights. A few weeks after our akita was fixed, his dog park experience improved immensely.

Our akita is also a very sweet tempered akita, loving everyone. He has slight fear, in the manner that if he really does think there is a threat, he will bark, but he will also hang back...he will not go up to meet the "threat". (We notice if we come home at an odd time and he is not sure whether or not it is really us, he will give that bark and hang back until he identifies us for sure). But he's still young, only 11 months, and I've read that true "protectiveness", if it is genetically in the dog, may not appear until full maturity (age 2-3) and so for now, a friendly akita puppy is great! It means they are socialized and well-rounded.

Our akita is also somewhat quiet, aloof, and likes his own personal space as well...so he is definitely not a "lap dog" akita...but he is friendly.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 27)  
1  2  3