GO!

The 'Soft' Akita..

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Kodiak CGC

WOOoooOOoo

Barked: Fri Feb 10, '12 12:37pm PST 
So.. I have a very non-akita Akita.. Which is great.. sort've.
I'm kind've just wondering if anyone else can relate with me, or if I got the odd duck.

Kodiak is an intact male almost 2 year old American Akita.

He is not protective.. at all. He would sooner poop than lash out. For example.. once when I left him at the groomers he did it, and once when the vet tech took him back for a HW test blood draw.
There was someone hiding behind the back corner of our fence and he stayed right at the line, hackled and watching while the other dogs barked, but other than that once instance I've never seen him step up.

[Edit] Submissive was the WRONG word. I guess non-confrontational is better. He's not "submissive" in the sense that he rolls over or shows blatant fear toward anything.
His poor dog-language has brought on a lot of bluff-fights at the park, never once started by him, and he just makes a lot of noise and is easily brought under control.

He doesn't play really. He is so mouth-soft that he won't even take a treat or toy, it has to be pushed into his mouth or placed on the ground and then he can pick it up. He won't roughhouse at all, and if you try he just flops over or looks at you like you're terribly mean. :|

He's never been beaten or screamed at. He's never needed harsh treatment. A soft pat on his butt or a mad tone makes him SO apologetic, and he tries SO hard to do all the right things. He absolutely lives to please. I have never met a dog so concerned with keeping his humans happy with him.

Of course, though, when I take him out, people avoid coming within 20' of him, and tell me that he probably attacks or that he's probably trained to kill or that he'll kill their dog or tell their children loudly that he's dangerous and get away from him. Sigh.

This breaks my heart, of course, because I know what a lamb he is.

He's my big baby and I love him.
Just wondering if I have the only mushy passive akita. xD

Edited by author Tue May 1, '12 12:52am PST

[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Feb 15, '12 9:19am PST 
I have had 3 Akitas and currently have two. Mine are big sweeties as well although your pup sounds like he has some fear issues as well. My Mika is very passive,doesn't like rough play,and will bark but back up in the face of a threat. Part of this we now know came from lack of proper socialization as a very young puppy,we know this because we brought her home at just over 9 weeks and did our job in socializing her but when we got Kai,at 8 weeks he was from the start much bolder,more confident,and easy going as well as eager to explore and meet new people,they both came from similar lines and the only difference is the breeder who we got Mika from didn't socialize the pups with people outside the family and Mom and pups were mostly left on their own in a separate room. With Kai's breeder the puppies met new people within the first 24-36 hours,were raised with the family and all the normal noises and activity that go on in a typical home.That early,regular socialization made for much more curious,confident,relaxed and social puppies. None of mine ever barked much except on direct threat,hearing someone near the door or hearing the doorbell ring, When the meter reader comes to my door ,they have to come into the basement to read my gas meter, Mika will bark once and flee in terror,Kai although he will not approach will follow them to see what they are doing,then walk away once he knows they mean no harm. It sounds like your dog has been socialized well by you because you can take him places but there is a really good chance that he was so undersocialized as a young puppy that he has become excessively fearful. The reaction you are getting from the general public is just a typical reaction to owning an Akita because of both negative press about the breed and in many cases negative profiles or at least discouraging ones even from breed specific rescues,they tend to show the worst of the worst of what can happen to an Akita in the wrong hands. I have never had to use any type of physical correction on any of mine,once the bond was formed,they listened,although they both went through a period of not wanting to do as they were told exactly when I wanted them to between the ages of one and a half and three,the third one of mine is in that stage now and finally beginning to improve with reinforcement. You might consider consulting a behaviorist to help your boy overcome some of his fear because the constant stress of being afraid isn't good for him and I really don't know how to tell you,or help you correct it. Being sweet and gentle is fine and always a good thing with a breed capable of doing alot of damage if it chooses to bite,but being that fearful and constantly stressed by the fear,could lead him to bite someone out of fear as he matures. Please find someone to help you and him with this issue,it really isn't fair to allow him to be so afraid of so much.
[notify]
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Sat Feb 18, '12 7:44pm PST 
This sounds like a fearful dog, not necessarily a "soft" Akita. Don't get me wrong, he does like a very sweet boy, but it seems like in public, he seems very afraid of what's going to happen to him.

I recommend a behaviorist for him, as Mika&Kai also suggested. Living in fear is, well... horrible. Speaking from experience, it's extremely hard on the mind and body. I have extreme social anxiety, and get so bad that I hyperventilate and shake, sometimes cry. Fear is a horrible, horrible thing and should be taken care of. It's not a fun thing to have to deal with. frown

Also, try not to take him to dog parks anymore, at least until his fear is taken care of.
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Feb 20, '12 6:05am PST 
Lobo,
Thank-you for the added input. I was so focused on the fearful behavior that I missed the whole dog park thing.

For the OP,your dogs fearfulness is really preventing him from a normal life and NEEDS to be stopped. I too,live with constant stress and anxiety in certain situations and it isn't fun. Even with medications I have had to alter activities to prevent panic attacks.
Your dog does not deserve to live in constant fear of everything,please find him the help he needs,someone who is also able to teach you how to help him properly. Good Luck!!
[notify]
Kodiak CGC

WOOoooOOoo

Barked: Mon Apr 23, '12 10:01am PST 
Wow.

Sorry I haven't posted in so long. Actually forgot about this site and just wandered back.

It's so funny that you guys jumped to such a conclusion from the post I made!
Knowing my dog, I just don't get the impression from him that he is LIVING IN FEAR.. lol. The idea of that is fairly ridiculous!

He has a small number of situations in which he is overly fearful, primarily when I put him in a situation that he perceives to be threatening, such as me giving him to someone else in a stressful environment, but he did his hand off on his CGC test just fine, so I can't say how much of an issue that really is.
If he's going to go into fight or flight, I want him in flight every single time.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '12 4:31am PST 
Actually your post of his behavior is what gave me the idea that he is overly fearful. At age 2 he should not be defecating in submission just because you gave a vet tech a leash or he is being groomed. He also should not be allowing other dogs to attack him with no response,I'm not saying he should fight back,but he certainly should be letting them know if and when they are hurting him or that he does not want to be approached by them. He also should not be running behind you for protection from others. Those are all signs of being fearful. Having 16 years of raising and researching the breed the behaviors you mentioned in your original post are for me concerning.
If he were to become overly stressed by fear he could in fact bite. You asked and I gave you my honest,informed,experienced,and educated opinion.
If you choose to believe otherwise or think his behavior is normal that is your choice. Good Luck and I hope that you are right and he is just overly mushy.
[notify]
Kodiak CGC

WOOoooOOoo

Barked: Sat Apr 28, '12 10:42am PST 
I know my dog. party
Apparently, as I was asking in my post, he IS the only Akita in the world who is so wonderful. Haha.

If I knew how to upload a video here I'd post one of him. smile
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Apr 29, '12 10:36am PST 
Actually I am a little offended just because my dogs do not defecate on the floor when approached by strangers,don't allow themselves to be attacked by other dogs at a whim without a noise,or run behind me in fear,or wilt and cower at a firm tone does not mean that they are vicious,agressive,badly behaved or in any way not wonderful. They are Amazing,smart,respectful,well behaved,well rounded, loving companions who would if necessary defend me from a threat.They are good with anyone in public,play with dogs less than a quarter their size without any danger of attack,adore all children,will go out of their way and have in fact hurt themselves to avoid accidentally hurting us or any child. So my Akitas are wonderful. Just not puddles of mush.
[notify]
Kodiak CGC

WOOoooOOoo

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '12 7:48pm PST 
And I'm offended that me posting about my dog being a sweet, sensitive, gentle boy who defers to me completely was met with the response that there is something wrong with him, so I guess we're even.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 10:01am PST 
As I Stated before it was in fact your post of your dogs behaviors that gave me the hint that he may be fearful. You yourself stated he is a very un-Akita like Akita. I would think that as a loving owner of an obviously wonderful dog you would want to find him a better way of coping with stress than defecating on the floor,you would want to avoid overly stressful situations like the dog park and want to keep him from being attacked. I and the other poster who took the time to answer your post were simply trying to help you and your dog. You are the one who chose to become both defensive and insulting. I was offended that although you are fully aware that you have"a very un-Akita like Akita" that you would state that your dog is the "only wonderful Akita" If you are happy with your dog as he is,that is fine and I am happy for you but as someone who has worked long and hard to self train,socialize fully,and take the best possible care of their dogs and through those efforts has two very well behaved,social,friendly Akitas who do in fact like other dogs,adore children,love people,are housebroken,and are absolutely wonderful companions and family members I felt it completely unnecessary for you to insult my dogs just because they do not display the same behaviors that your dog does when stressed. I too love my dogs for what and who they are. I in fact chose the breed for their very Akita like qualities.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3