GO!

Hot Spot/Dermatitis

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Mckenzie

Barked: Wed May 30, '12 12:42pm PST 
Hello,
We have a 2 year old Airedale Terrier names McKenzie. She has developed a a bald open sore on the inside if her back leg and keeps scratching it. I looked on the internet and it looks like a hotspot. I have taken her to the vet 2 times and the doctor is calling it dermatitis. He has given her 2 shots, 3 antibiotics and nothing is working. We are using a e-collar now and it is starting to get a scab. As soon as I take the e-collar off she tries to scratch it all over again. What can I do? Has anyone with Airedales had this problem before? Please help.
[notify]
Jazz

They call me- Jazzy Fey

Barked: Thu Jun 7, '12 8:13am PST 
Airedales and hot spots tend to go hand-in-hand it seems. The vet did nothing for my boyfriends dogs' hot spots. The shots didnt work nor did antibiotics. What you really have to look at is the food, coat condition and environment.

Food that most dogs should stay away from are corn, wheat, by-products and pretty much every grain out there. You really have to read the ingredient list. Dogs are carnivores and should be fed accordingly. (Check out the raw fed forum here) Their bodies are made for eating raw meat. If you are unable to feed raw, then you should consider switching to a high quality grain free dog food. But some dogs, even if they are on the highest quality grain free dog kibble, still have severe issues with kibble itself because it is so processed and has many synthetic vitamins and minerals added. You can also switch to a grain free canned food as it tends to be easier on the body compaired to kibble. But with my experience, raw feeding is cheaper (and way healthier) than canned food.

If your airedale`s coat is long, dirty, moist, unbrushed then that creats a place for bacteria to hang out. Also, air cannot get to the skin when the coat is in such condition. Airedales who are shaved rather than hand stripped tend to have a softer coats that grab dirt.

As for the environment, try not to use any sort of air fresheners (its bad for humans and animals), candles, harsh detergents on any surface your dog may lay on (dog beds, floors, etc.), fertilizers on your grass. Sometimes it can even be spring time allergies. The vet told my boyfriend that his dog got his hot spot from a flea bite. Then the vet procceded to check his dog for fleas and didnt find anything. His dog does not recieve any flea prevention medication by the way, and I think most, if not all dog owners know that fleas dont just jump on, bite, then jump off... fleas stick around, lay eggs and then the flea cycle begins and before you know it the dog and your house is infested.

Make sure you keep the area clean! This is most important! Its best to clean it with diluted betadine (you can get it in most pharmacies). I have made a mixture with 1 part betadine, 2 parts distilled water that works well. Stay away from peroxide and other cleaning agents that sting. Hot spots hurt enough as it is. You should also put some sort of anti itch on there to ease your dogs discomfort. Aloe vera is nice and natural. Sometimes you can also find sprays in your local pet stores, but make sure products dont have alcohol. I know Pet Valu has a few good natural products in their stores for hot spot relief.

Before my boyfriend and I met, he was following his vets advice and feeding Eukanuba (gross). His poor dog had hot spot after hot spot. But after meeting me he put his dog on grain free kibble, which helped a lot. And now, we`re switching him onto raw. I have been feeding my german shepherd raw her entire life and she does amazingly well on it.

Hope my rambeling was a little helpful! If you have any other questions, let me know!

wave
[notify]