GO!

HELP!! Can NOT house break Afghan

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Sir Dane- Desanctis- Peddie

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '08 5:26pm PST 
My dog is 1 year old this week. We have yet to house train him. Or at least he hasnt trained us by that I mean he makes NO noise to go outside EVER. He give NO clue at all he just goes on the floor when your not looking. Yes, we walk him, yes we let him out and he DOES go. But then he will also go in the house about twice a week but lately its every day. I have not EVER spanked the dog but Im at my wits end. He doesnt go in the house all day while we are gone its when we are home that he goes. PLEASE help! gregpeddie@hotmail.com
[notify]
Greta Garbo

Patron Saint of- Escape Artists

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '08 11:20am PST 
Do not give up. I had a male in college then my Greta Garbo. I taught both to say, "Out!" when they needed to do so. They were perfect in less than a year. Then I got Audrey Hepburn. She ate many pieces of antique furniture and I had to toss out many Persian carpets. It was close to two years before something clicked in her bone head. She's been wonderful ever since, and no one could ask for a more devoted and loving dog. Do not yell after the fact, as they do not have a clue what you are upset about. Besides, punishment doesn't work with Afghans, as they are very sensitive and stubborn. They will flip you the paw. Here's a hint. I filled my pockets with dog cookies on walks. When Audrey went potty outside I gave her a cookie and pats and told her how WONDERFUL she was. A positive approach works with Afghans. Eventually, I could just offer praise and sometimes a cookie. It did help that she's a food motivated Afghan, as many could care less. It helps to figure out some sort of reward that they could die for. Roast beef is a good option when you're starting out. When I think back, I think many pet owners would have strangled Audrey. She shredded many of my belongings, including the back cover of my favorite leather Bible. Audrey took a lot of patience, but it was worth all the aggravation. I suppose it helped that I had four sons and a daughter beforehand! --christinekimball@mac.com and www.christinekimball.com

I would be happy to offer any moral support you may need. Do not give up!
[notify]
Jasper

I'm to sexy for- myself!

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '08 2:18pm PST 
I have have approx. 10 Afghan rescues and out of those only one could not be housetrained however he was 4 when I got him and unaltered. In his case I got him a belly band and to this day in his adopted home 3 years later he is still wearing it. Your baby is young enough that with some patience and time he should come thru. Is he neutered? Have you tried crating him?
Strangely enough I am from Berrien Springs (I see that you like St. Joe) and I got my first Afghan there!
[notify]

Zorra

Do I look like- I'm done

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 12:37pm PST 
I had a problem with something similar. We found that it was actually submissive urination, and he only did it when my boyfriend was home. After talking with my vet, they told me ways to boost his confidence level and not reprimand him. It was night and day within the first week.
Otherwise, you may have a long road ahead getting yours trained. But keep it up, and good luck,
[notify]
Greta Garbo

Barked: Sun Mar 23, '08 5:26am PST 
Maybe he goes when he's excited that you're home and can't control himself . One year is still young for an Afghan. Maybe you might want to keep the leash and a bag with a few cookies by the door, and take him out as soon as you get home. When he goes outside make a big fuss and give him a treat. Don't give up!
[notify]
Greta Garbo

Barked: Sun Mar 23, '08 5:28am PST 
Maybe he goes when he's excited that you're home and can't control himself . One year is still young for an Afghan. Maybe you might want to keep the leash and a bag with a few cookies by the door, and take him out as soon as you get home. When he goes outside make a big fuss and give him a treat. Don't give up!
[notify]
Angel of- Music - InLovingMemo- ry

Birthday Girl

Barked: Tue Oct 7, '08 4:05pm PST 
Confining (crating) your Afghan may be the fastest method. Most dogs do not like to soil the area they are in and so his natural aversion to messing his "bed" will work for you. I would personally only put a dog in a crate if I was home and could take them out frequently to relieve themselves. Many dogs, once they are fully housetrained, enjoy being able to go into their crate .......... almost like it was their "den".

Our Afghan "Sierra", who passed away at fourteen years old, learned from being on a leash. We were with her all the time so she wasn't in any danger of getting tangled up or hurt and she was housetrained in a very quick time.

Best of luck!
Oh and here's a youtube video about housetraing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-z9GHhomsc
[notify]
Cairo

Cairo - It's all about- me!!!!

Barked: Thu Jun 11, '09 3:34pm PST 
Cairo is 6 mos. old and is finally house-trained. It took me awhile since this is my first afghan to learn that a good percentage of his "accidents" were on purpose because I wasnt giving him enough attention. Not that afghans can ever get enough attention...lol. So I made going outside fun for him. I bought a rubber type ball with holes in it (kinda looks like a wiffle ball) and put a cat bell ball into it and hung it on the door. This made it easy for me to hear wherever I was in the house and could act sooner (when he had to go - he had to go) and it made it fun for him cause he liked the sound. A win-win for both of us. It only took less than 3 months. But watch out, he likes to trick me into thinking he has to go sometimes when he just wants out to play!
[notify]
Gabrielle - 11/94- -9/23/2005

Barked: Fri Jun 19, '09 4:29pm PST 
We got Gabby when she was 8 months old and she was not housebroken. Crate training is the only way to go. We bought the largest crate we could find, put newspapers down in the back half and a small blanket down in the front half. It took several weeks but worked like a charm. I also used mini cookies for a treat whenever she did her business outside.

I have crate trained all three of my Afghans . My "girls" are only crated when we are not at home. They all sleep on the beds and are out all night long without incident.

cheer
[notify]