GO!

afghan hounds not a watch dog

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
hazel *WoOt- WoOt*

this- is MY- couch!

Barked: Wed Mar 21, '07 10:41pm PST 
if your affie(thats my word for afghan hound) is not a watch dog type it is normal aghan hounds are not watch dogs they are much more suited to being watched so do not get an afghan hound if you want a watch dog
[notify]
Nikko - The Bachelor- About Tow

I Is Handsome,- Don't You Think?

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 5:16pm PST 
Ah, Hazel my dear, you are gravely mistaken when it comes to Afghan Hounds and watchdogs. Many female Afghan Hounds have been known to pin down unwanted guests both human & mammal. It is we, the handsomest of the breed The Males who are bread to be Lovers AND Lookers ;o)
[notify]
Dixie

PLAY WITH ME

Barked: Sun Jun 24, '07 8:34pm PST 
Well, Afghan Hounds are mediocre watchdog, not the best in the bunch, but not the worst either.
[notify]

hazel *WoOt- WoOt*

this- is MY- couch!

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '07 8:29pm PST 
oh well i had heard that afghan hounds were not good watchdogs
[notify]
Zack

Barked: Thu Jul 26, '07 6:28am PST 
In Afghanistan the afghan hounds are used as watch dogs. They are also used as cattle dogs...and then of course also for witch-hunt.

Zack doesn't hunt at all. But he is a genuine watch dog. He barks like ___ and even attacks people that are not welcome in our apartment.
[notify]
Jazmine

Snazzy Jazzy~

Barked: Sun Sep 9, '07 2:23am PST 
Yes, Yes, My Jazzy thinks that she is the most astute girl at watching, she watches and watches, and then she licks her lips, and watches some more. Seriously, she thinks that she is the queen of watch dogs, and growls, if the neighbor has company!
She has been with us eight mos. She tells me the girls are the hunters, and travel in groups. I don't think the guys are much on that sort of thing, You know they rather strutt and look important.!
[notify]
Greta Garbo

Patron Saint of- Escape Artists

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '07 9:40am PST 
Afghans are superb watchdogs. Hysterical barking and the implied question, "Shall I eat it for you?" I am a third generation Afghan owner and have had four during my life. As a student at the U of Penn, I lived in various apartments in the slums of Philadelphia. I never worried with my gigantic apricot male with a black mask at my side. He scared the daylights out of the locals, who had no idea what kind of a creature he was. My two current females, particularly the older one (the younger is the secondary backup dog), are on constant red alert for anyone with the audacity to walk their dog on the sidewalk in front of our suburban home. They go ballistic, bouncing off the window panes like ping pong balls. Never underestimate an Afghan Hound for loyalty, resourcefulness, stubborness or athletic ability.
[notify]
Edgar

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '07 8:02am PST 
You should hear my male Afghan's bark. If you were a burglar, you'd never know what kind of ferocious beast was on the other side of the door barking. He's scared many, even though he is gentile once you get to know him. Don't be fooled, however, he can be VERY tough if need be. Edgar only brings out the guns when needed.
[notify]
Gabrielle - 11/94- -9/23/2005

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '08 7:09pm PST 
I have two afghans ....... lost my oldest last September. Two of the three were/are excellent watch dogs. The third literally runs and hides when the other start barking. laugh out loud
[notify]
Greta Garbo

Patron Saint of- Escape Artists

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '08 4:08pm PST 
Afghans are wonderful watchdogs if trained when they are young. I went to college in Philadelphia and lived in the ghetto with my big male, Ralphie. I never worried. My two current lunatics, Greta Garbo and Audrey Hepburn, are excellent ever vigilent watchdogs, barking their brains out and bouncing off the windows like deranged ping-pong balls if someone goes past our home. They are protective on walks, too, giving me a look that asks, "Shall we kill it for you?"
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2